• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

hero firmware. is it worth it?

Edbanger

Sep 24, 2009
hi all. i had a hero last summer, and stupidly gave it back to get the sony ericsson satio. great camera, crap phone.
ive just sold my satio, and will get a used hero to see me through till the end of my contract.
what is the lastest firmware for it, and is it worth it? i have read about it causing the phone to lag more etc. ? where can i find info on what the update does, ie more fetures,etc?
cheers guys and gals.:) i cant wait till i get it. im like a kid the night before christmas, lol

latest firmware was the 2.1 update which came out today (finally!)

very good phone, however it is last years technology so if u can get a more up-to-date phone e.g. the htc desire or the htc legend then that might be a better bet... however if u arent too fussed then the hero is a very good alternative

Majid

Upvote 0
The 2.1 update is landing right now in Europe and various other places. I'm not running it my self but everybody seems pretty happy with the performance. I've been running 2.1 for a few months now (via custom ROMs) and I wouldn't go back to 1.5.

I don't know where you read about it causing lag; this update is brand spanking new. Perhaps you were reading about Sprint Heroes. They got their update a while back and it was very buggy, but luckily they don't use the same software as us (in fact they are different phones, despite sharing the name).

Upvote 0
@silence/Xyro Well I would say its much slower (and buggier )...... after an answer from htc I did the factory reset she said I should do and still it lags too much ...

From what I can hear there is not many ppl saying its faster I would be so arrogant and say that the ppl saying its faster are those who didnt had it fast on the 1.5 in the first place. :)
(I do believe some custom roms or without the sense are faster but that was also on the 1.5)

And yes its now the GSM version ppl are complaining about. And yes there is the similarity to Sprint.. So they had a second attempt and messed it up again ... they dont even know what they did ....

And there are many ppl crying about lagging on the 2.1 even in this forum or others am one of them .... (Even in the market, read comments to apps)

I have to admit that apps load faster! But the whole sense, or home, dialer, etc are lagging too much to be happy about faster starting apps.

@Edbanger not sure it will wipe it out.
To the best way of backing up? For contacts you use google contacts not much needed to back it up if its on a google server.

Apps/settings backing up and reinstalling them using something like MyBackup(pro) or Astro, resolved into (well by me maybe I had it bugged? :) ) not able to update them since they didnt pop up there.. but you can use that

So I would just remember what you had isntalled and install it manualy :D and screw settings and highscores you can do it always better the next time :)

Upvote 0
latest firmware was the 2.1 update which came out today (finally!)

very good phone, however it is last years technology so if u can get a more up-to-date phone e.g. the htc desire or the htc legend then that might be a better bet... however if u arent too fussed then the hero is a very good alternative

Majid
I agree with Majid, save up some more money and just get the Desire, it's a much better, faster and newer phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones