Hero "gel" covers!

Last Updated:

1. reload

reload Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, i was thinking about purchasing one of those "gel" covers for my hero :)
    Any experience? Im worried about the volume buttons: some covers have cut off for them, some others dont, who knows if they are essential?

Advertisement
  2. croc9968

croc9968 Active Member

Hi

I have a gel cover and its really good. All buttons are accessible and it fits great.

I got it from Amazon (UK) and it was only about

3. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member

4. dahamn

dahamn Member

5. reload

Thank you very much! I have purchased it :) Unfortunately i could not buy those on amazon because they dont ship them in my country (???), and i did it on ebay!

6. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

7. alinver

Aye I did the same, got about half a dozen of them kicking about, they are so cheap it doesn't matter if you lose them :D

Al

8. themonkster

themonkster Well-Known Member

I have a similar one and it has saved my phones life a few times now.

This is an essential purchase and doesn't take the style away from the phone.

9. reload

Nice! Im not thinking too much about phone's style, but if it doesnt look horrible is a lot better :D

10. pdrhan

pdrhan Well-Known Member

When these are attached to phone - does it get and look thicker?

11. alinver

Yes it does look a little thicker, but not so much as you'd notice after time, I must say I do prefer my Hero naked but for safety sake it's probably worth using one.

I am after a nice screen protector if anybody knows a good brand or whatever, sorry to high-jack your thread reload :)

Al

12. reload

No problem! Since we are in topic of "scratches & co" i'd like to advise that on ebay you can find complete housings! i dont know how easy they are to install, and are quite expensive, but could be a valid solution to keep your phone as new

(btw they are epensive but reasonable :))

13. themonkster

themonkster Well-Known Member

As far as screen protectors I've never used one. I've had my phone for 9 months and hasn't got a mark on it.

I wouldn't bother with them. The Hero's screen is unbelievably scratch resistant. I think they must have used some alien technology. My old Nokia, if you breathed on it it got scratched.

Long live the Hero....

14. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

Yeah, I dont use screen protector either, dont like the feel. Screens are scratch proof in moderation as long as you dont put your phone in your pocket with loads of change or handbag with the kitchen sink as well :D I use a pouch to carry my phone round my neck or belt but can also be thrown in handbag.

15. alinver

To be honest I never had one for my iphone either, maybe it's because I love my Hero so much and with it being pretty new I'm nervous about scratching it.

I'll take your advice and I won't bother with a screen protector :)

Although I did buy a new jacket last week and the most important thing was how soft was lining in the pocket I would normally keep the phone in, style and colour was second choice!! :D:D

Cheers Al

16. david83

david83 Well-Known Member

The gel covers are great! They fit really snug and I think they compliment the styling of the handset. I have a completely clear one with my grey Hero and it looks damn sexy.

I use a screen protector too. Don't bother with the official htc ones as the corners arn't cut properly, just get some cheapo ones off ebay instead.

17. james

james Well-Known Member

Have to admit I don't use one either, don't wanna ruin the look and feel :p
    Don't have any marks or scratches on it after 6 or 7 months use, but I make sure I don't put it in my pocket with my keys or something like that.

Being the first expensive phone I've owned though I do have insurance in case I lose it or smash it whilst out drunk or something, so at the end of the day I could probably get a replacement if it got badly scratched anyway :p

18. pdrhan

pdrhan Well-Known Member

Anybody out there with these gel-covers attached to Hero , is it possible you can take some good shots at the phone with cover so we can see clearly how it looks like? Seems pictures on various mobile sites does not show a clear photo of it...

19. jim_h

jim_h Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that you guys are talking about the semi-rigid gel covers as opposed to the soft silicone sleeve type? The silicone covers are ok, but just attract dust and look horrible very quickly. They tend to move around quite a lot and dust gets underneath. I have one on my walkman and that's why I went with the gel type for the Hero.

The hard gel one I bought was described as black, but is actually like a dark brown and doesn't look right on my white Hero. I am going to have to buy another colour. As for protection, it is a very good fit for the phone and only adds about 1mm to the thickness all round. It looks like it would stop any case cracks or scratches if the phone were dropped.

Oh, and the gel gives you a very good grip on the phone too. I nearly dropped mine a few times before fitting the cover. I think the teflon coated case on the white model makes them slippery.

For

20. Warrior 3000

Warrior 3000 Well-Known Member

i bought one from best buy last night. i was so shocked to see that the blue gel is 14.99 and the black gel is freakin 19.99.

the only problem i have is that when i plug the charger in, it barley goes in and always falls out. but other than that i love it.

21. alchemistkevin

alchemistkevin Well-Known Member

what country are you in and what currency is that? 14.99 and 19.99 they're around/less than

22. Warrior 3000

Warrior 3000 Well-Known Member

im from america.

23. pedro825

pedro825 Member

This is the one I have, fits perfectly and has all the correct holes cut out. I have had it since I dropped my Hero after 6 days and smashed it to pieces. Since having this on I have dropped on concrete and it didnt have a scratch, well worth the money.

FlexiShield Plus Skin For The HTC Hero - Clear

24. pdrhan

pdrhan Well-Known Member

sure this looks nice - seems to fit perfectly - thats what i

25. pedro825

pedro825 Member

It maybe a bit costly but the fit is perfect, I actually struggle to get it off because it is such a tight fit. There will be some cheaper options on eBay but I dont think they would be as good a fit