Hero & imap???

Last Updated:

1. joek71

joek71 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Guys

I am trying the IMAP setting with my Gmail and Sprint HTC HERO.
    My question is there a setting to receive emails as they come in? I only found manualy,5,10,15,etc...
    But I am looking for setting as they come in to be shown to me, I am using the HTC widget Mail, and i also have icong for GMial, I did a test and when using the Gmail short cut icon for Gmail, it gets the mail instantly but when using the HTC widget it waits 5 minutes, is there a way to make it instantly?

Thanks
    Joe

Advertisement
  2. romeosidvicious

romeosidvicious Well-Known Member

The GMail app is push mail and you only have one account with it. IMAP checks on a schedule and you will get mail, if there are new messages, every time it checks. You can only associate one account with your phone and that's the account you get mail pushed to your phone with. With the HTC widget, which relies on the regular mail app, you can only check according to a schedule. You can use multiple accounts (I check four total) with the phone via IMAP or POP but only one with the push service.

3. joek71

Oh thanks, so the one with HTC widget is not push, is there a way to make it push?

4. romeosidvicious

Nope. You get one push account and that's the one associated with your phone. And for some reason HTC chose not to let us use that account with the widget.

5. joek71

I am will email HTC and ask this question, maybe in the next email we will be able to do it, thanks for all your help. I came from Palm Pre.

6. joek71

I emailed HTC asking this question will post my answer when i get it back, that doesnt make any sense that they do that, dont give option to get email as it arrives.

7. romeosidvicious

It could be as simple as the GMail app and phone association being outside of their control completely. Both of those are under the control of Google. GMail doesn't push unless you are on Android and so those are Google's playground. They may not allow modification and may not give out the specs for the mail app.

8. FrogSplatter

FrogSplatter Member

never heard of a pop or imap pushing... they are both "polling for" in nature. Dont think it can be changed. Worst case forward to a gmail account.

9. ItsDon

ItsDon Well-Known Member

I wish the HTC widget had push only because I can read the friggin' thing! Why Google thinks everyone has the eyes of a teenager is beyond me. I'd pay for an app that allowed the font to be changed in the Gmail app.....