• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero is killing my computer

redandblack1287

Dec 4, 2009
Literally. I plug it in and my computer instantly BSODs and has to restart.

WHAT THE EFF

I'm running Windows 7 32 bit. It used to work fine so my mind is kind of blown at this. I'm about to try a battery pull but I already tried a soft reset and that didn't work. Has anyone else had this problem?

This sounds like a Windows issue and not a Hero issue. By this I mean that it sounds like the driver or the driver search functionality is corrupt. Just plugging in a Hero does nothing other than trigger a driver search or whatever action was defined as the default when and if you successfully installed the device originally.

If it's happening when you mount the SD card you might have something corrupton the card that's causing issues with whatever you set as the default action for the card.

Bottom line is that the problem doesn't lie with the Hero but with Windows. Not a wholly uncommon issue with Windows honestly. I can't really help track down the issue since I use Linuh rx pretty much so I don't deal with issues just like these.

Upvote 0
Yeah, its definitely a windows issue at this point =\
I'm pretty sure the Dell printer drivers I just installed are causing problems because I got a similar crash while I was installing them. Anyway, the computer crashes within 1 second of plugging in the USB cable. When I have more time I'll try removing the printer to see what happens.

Upvote 0
I heard that about HTC Sync, but only after I installed it and used it with no problems. What exactly do you mean when you say that it "doesn't work?" I don't really use it and I have XP on my computer as well, so I'll probably try getting rid of that first.

Doesn't work, as in the program is not made to run on windows 7... yet. HTC knows and says they are working on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones