• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

hero losing connection with data

about a week ago my hero started losing it's data connection. after not using my phone for about 15 minutes it still getting bars and says 3g, or H or G...but i am unable to get gtalk chats. when i go to gtalk it says i've lost connection and messages will be sent when i'm next online. if i send an email to my gmail account from my laptop i receive no notification. data is set to be always on. once i start tapping around in gtalk, sign out and back in, or refresh gmail i receive the chats and emails. i tried doing a factory reset of my hero already. also i have android 2.1, unbranded on O2 and it all worked great until a couple of weeks ago.

has anyone else seen this? any advice? thanks!

ok so... i did a factory reset and linked my hero with a different gmail account. still nothing syncs like it should and gtalk continually loses connection. so maybe it's my mobile :( it's now linked back to my original gmail and still not working right. ughhh... i've only had it 15 months but it's no longer under warantee.

does anyone have any ideas? please!?

Upvote 0
Looking at your description of the problem, my instinct is to suggest "network issues". Obviously a hardware problem can't be ruled out without physical testing, but the symptoms certainly seem to point to problems with the connection given that data does still flow (and presumably the basic calling/text functions work). The only thing I can think of right now is to power the handset down for a few hours, say overnight, so that it's disconnected from the network and see if that helps any.

Reactions: umshamrock
Upvote 0
@slug - thanks for your advice. i'll power it down totally tonight. maybe it is a network thing - i think it started playing up when i returned from brussels actually (i live in england). so maybe something weird happened when i switched from the Continental networks to the O2? who knows. but i'll give that a try tonight.
thanks for the suggestion!
and yes SMS and phone calls still work great....

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks to Slug, I have narrowed somethings down. My Hero does everything perfectly (keeps data coming) on the WiFi. I took my phone off of the O2 network, put in a Vodafone SIM and it worked perfectly (lots of testing!). I then but in a different O2 SIM and I had the same probs I had with my SIM.

So I guess it is an O2 thing. I'll go into the shop tomorrow but in the meantime - did O2 change anything recently?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Problem Resoloved: I had been using an APN for WAP and it worked great. For some reason it stopped keeping the data flowing. I figure this out by adding a mobile data APN:
Name: mobile web
APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
Proxy: *LEAVE BLANK*
Port: *LEAVE BLANK*
Username: web
Password: password
Server: *LEAVE BLANK*
MMSC: *LEAVE BLANK*
MMS Proxy: *LEAVE BLANK*
MMS Port: *LEAVE BLANK*
MCC: 234
MNC: 10
APN Type: default
now it all works. yay!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones