Hero no longer recognised on PC

Last Updated:

1. psmithard

psmithard Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I've had my HTC Hero for a few months now, I am running windows 7 (64bit) so I had to use the Vista drivers before I could use HTC Sync. Fair enough, I did that and it worked perfectly up until this morning when I tried to update the ROM to the official one off of the HTC website. I was sync'd with my pc and ran the ROM update, everything was going well until it unexpectedly told me that there was no connection between the PC and the phone anymore and to check the USB cable. Since then I'm unable to sync with HTC Sync at all. I can use the phone as a USB Storage device and device manager see's that I have an Android phone plugged in but it doesn't recognise it as a Hero anymore. I have tried hard resetting the phone, and uninstalling/reinstalling HTC Sync and the drivers, I've also tried it on a different PC (also running win 7 64 bit), and a virtual PC running XP. It seems like a driver problem but I've tried them from a few sources and it's still not working :mad:. Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

What's shown under "Android USB Devices" in Device Manager when it's connected to the PC, anything?

3. psmithard

Nothing. The only reference I can find in the Device Manager is ADB Interface where the HTC Dream Composite ADB Interface is listed. No other mention in Device Manager. In Devices and Printers an Android Phone is listed but no model/manufacturer details are listed.

4. Slug

No "unknown devices" shown?

I can't do anything right now as I'm at work and our PCs are locked down tighter than Fort Knox, but I'll compare my own Win7 config later and see if I can spot anything.

5. psmithard

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated.
    There are no unknown devices and no warnings or erors on any devices. I don't see anything but the ADB Interface in Device manageer when the phone is saying "Unable to find HTC Sync on your computer........."

Thanks again.

6. Slug

I've got no "ADB Interface" listed in Device Manager.

I connect the handset and Android USB Devices appears, followed shortly later by "My HTC Hero". At that point HTC Sync recognises the handset.

Under Disk Drives - "HTC Android Phone USB Device"
    Under Portable Devices = "F:\"

Can you check C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\Vista_x64 to ensure that the androidusb.sys and WdfCoInstaller01007.dll files are still present?

At this time I'm at a loss as to what's happened. The fact that it's affecting multiple PCs suggests to me that it's an issue with the handset, so you could try a factory reset. I take it that, apart from this, the handset is functioning normally? What build number is displayed in "About phone"?

7. psmithard

I have both those files in the Driver folder.

Both PC's show the ADB interface and not Android Phone in device manager.

The phone is working perfectly apart from not syncing correctly. I have tried a Factory Data Reset from the Security section of the Settings menu and by holding home, back and pressing power when the phone is turned off. Both reset the phone back to initial settings but doesn't help with this issue. Could it be that when the ROM update crashed it left the handset installing this ADB interface crap instead of the proper HTC Hero credentials on PC's?

And the next question is, how do I get it sorted? The only thing I can think of now is to send it back to HTC to look at. It's really annoying becasue the only reason I was updating the ROM was to prepare it for the supposed 2.1 update from HTC so now I'm stuck with an (albeit functioning) handset on android 1.5!
    The Build number is 1.76.405.6 146733 CL#47214 release-keys. Which is what it was before the attempted ROM update.

8. Slug

Have you tried re-running the RUU update? That might sort it.... I'm not sure if it needs to know more than that there's an Android device attached, and the ADB interface should allow that.

Kind of a shot in the dark I know, but this is the first time I've come across this issue.

9. Steve-Silver

Steve-Silver Member

Hi,

Firstly, I am no expert with the Hero as I have only had it a week!

However, I do appreciate how difficult it is to get the phone working on Windows 7 as I had loads of grief setting mine up.

All I know is that in device manager, mine was also recognised as "HTC Dream Composite ADB Interface" as Windows 7 seems to think that's correct.

If I remember right, I uninstalled the HTC Hero drivers (not the program) from add / remove programs. I Downloaded the Vista drivers using a Google search. Disconnected from the internet (to stop Windows 7 from installing the Dream drivers again) then searched for the downloaded driver manually from Device manager. The Hero is now recognised as 'My HTC' and syncs correctly.

Apologies if I have missed any steps, but I can't remember exactly what I did after messing around for hours!

10. wave

wave Member

Hi,

I have done the same and I have exactely the same problem ;)
    I do not know if this issue is related with Windows 7 or with the ROM update itself.
    I will try to grab a PC with XP just in case.

11. psmithard

Slug, yeah i tried to reinstall the Rom update but it can't find the phone on the pc.

Steve, cheers for that. The only step I didn't try is disconnecting for the web while i reload the drivers. I'll give that a bash when I get home.

Wave, I did try it using the virtual XP in win7 but I'm not sure if it'd give the same results as an XP machine.

Cheers for all your replies folks. Fingers crossed Steves suggestion works. Will let u know.

12. Slug

I had another though while clearing snow.... try uninstalling HTC Sync and HTC Drivers, rebooting the PC and then installing the latest v2.0.8 HTC Sync (if not already using that version). My reasoning is that, on 32-bit Win7 at least, it installed everything correctly at the first time of asking.

Now you'll still have an issue with no 64-bit drivers, but you've verified that those are present in your current setup. So, save the Vista_x64 folder to another location before uninstalling, and then copy it back to C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files once you've installed the new version but before connecting the handset.

13. psmithard

Big thumbs up to all that contributed :D.

Using a combination of suggestions I uninstalled both HTC Driver and HTC Sync, actually deleted the drivers from C:\Program Files (x86) etc etc, rebooted, redownloaded the latest HTC Sync 2.0.8, turned off anti virus and unplugged from the network/internet, reinstalled HTC Sync and then placed the Vista 64 bit drivers where they need to be, plugged in the phone which failed to find drivers for the ADB Device so manually pionted it at the Vista drivers and it found my HTC Phone no problem, then I went straight ahead and flashed the ROM as I did originally and that worked too, Spot on!

BTW I got an email back from HTC Tech Support who I emailed at the same time as starting this thread. they said to keep an eye out in their support section in the next few weeks for a 64 bit version of HTC Sync.

Thanks again folks. Much appreciated.

14. Slug

Woohoo! (note to self: must ask Admins for a "party" smilie) :D

Thanks in turn for tipping us off about the 64-bit HTC Sync.