• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero now or wait? and some questions

Gabe

Sep 9, 2009
I'll number these questions to make answering easier.

1) I'm only looking at GSM phones, I'm thinking about buying the hero on ebay next week. I'm wondering if I should wait for the GSM moto droid or a GSM htc passion. Or just get the hero now. The benifits of waiting for me personally is faster hardware, and better screen/resolution. The downfalls of waiting is I could be waiting a long time for a GSM version of those phones.

2) The biggest thing that concerns me is about buying the hero is performance. I have a iphone 2g and what pisses me off about it is the performance, and that it has no multitasking. If I get the hero I don't want the performance to bother me. I have no issues if I need taskiller to close a few apps every now and then to keep the performance good. I'd like to know if performance is a real problem, or just a minor annoyance.

3) Is the "jump to letter" feature in the music player? for example can I jump to the music artists that begin with Y, instead of scrolling from the top all the way down?

4) Is there a button to show your currently running apps? or your most recent apps? If so, which is it? running or recent? Can you launch apps from that screen?

5) Is the warranty on the European GSM hero valid in the United States? Is the warranty card that comes with the phone used for anything? do you need it to have a warranty on your phone? What does it say on it?

I'll number these questions to make answering easier.

1) I'm only looking at GSM phones, I'm thinking about buying the hero on ebay next week. I'm wondering if I should wait for the GSM moto droid or a GSM htc passion. Or just get the hero now. The benifits of waiting for me personally is faster hardware, and better screen/resolution. The downfalls of waiting is I could be waiting a long time for a GSM version of those phones.

2) The biggest thing that concerns me is about buying the hero is performance. I have a iphone 2g and what pisses me off about it is the performance, and that it has no multitasking. If I get the hero I don't want the performance to bother me. I have no issues if I need taskiller to close a few apps every now and then to keep the performance good. I'd like to know if performance is a real problem, or just a minor annoyance.

3) Is the "jump to letter" feature in the music player? for example can I jump to the music artists that begin with Y, instead of scrolling from the top all the way down?

4) Is there a button to show your currently running apps? or your most recent apps? If so, which is it? running or recent? Can you launch apps from that screen?

5) Is the warranty on the European GSM hero valid in the United States? Is the warranty card that comes with the phone used for anything? do you need it to have a warranty on your phone? What does it say on it?

Its pretty snappy after the ROM update, all you have to do is get a task manager and tweak some settings. You can even turn off Sense UI if you need snappy. Apps load up quite fast, and menus are smooth generally, it can get slow but a task manager app should take care of it.

I know you can search through music by letter with the search button

If you hold the home key, a list of 6 icons comes up with your most recent apps and you can click on them to activate them.

At the warranty, you need to have the receipt of the product for it to work is all you need afaik, also its 2 years long.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones