Hero on 3 UK

Last Updated:

1. Starfall

Starfall Member This Topic's Starter

Okay so, there is one outcome I want and that is to be running 2.2 on my Hero.

I'm on 3 UK network and it seems pretty hard to root and flash my rom seeing as its a 3 specific rom.

I heard that European Hero owners will be getting an update to Android 2 (some say 2.1 other say 2.2) anybody know any news about this?

Or does anybody have any advice on how I can reach 2.2 or 2.1?

(P.S the 'root in one click' method doesn't work)

Starfall

Advertisement
  2. will65mcmanus

will65mcmanus Well-Known Member

you need to gold card it first m8 so you canb downgrade your firmware first , i too are on 3 and just done mine the other day.

Starfall likes this.
  3. Starfall

Ah okay, thanks will :)
    Any advice on how i can do this?
    i tried following a guide before but ended up quitting half way through, it was getting late haha

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Nobody is running 2.2 yet really. There've been a few attempts to port the nexus one ROM to the hero but it's hardly functional. Proper ones should appear soon enough though.

5. Starfall

Ah that's a shame, but fair enough, It'd just be nice to get to 2.0 at least, it's a bit off topic, but what's considered the 'best' ui replacement now? (btter home, home++ etc) it's one of the main reasons i want to get to 2.0

Thanks for the reply, I don't suppose you know of any guides to make a gold card? as the guide i was following had a certain step with a link, but it appears the site that was linked is no longer providing the utility needed to create a gold card, thanks once again :)

6. Xyro

Would that me qmat by any chance? The people who make that software have released a new version of the software with a different name, which will reverse the code for you.

Phone System Analysis Software - PSAS | The successor of QMAT The free version is the one you want :)

Oh and a lot of people like LauncherPro. It's not really a fully featured hope replacement like better home, it doesn't bring any new features, but it's a pretty nice launcher.

Starfall likes this.
  7. Starfall

Thank you very much! I'm guessing this is all the software i need to have installed to create a gold card? I already have the correct drivers including adb installed. and i assume i need a micro SD adapter to use with my computer too?

8. Xyro

I think you can make it by mounting it in the phone, although I didn't have any luck doing it that way and ended up using an adapter.

This website can reverse the string too if you don't want to bother installing software: Soaa.me - (write down, copy, paste, and then) One-click hex reverse for GoldCard creation

You'll also need a hex editor to copy the code from your goldcard.img to the SD card too.

This page links you to all the different software, if you need it. How To: Downgrade Your HTC Hero So It Can Be Rooted (Updated 02.05.10) | The Unlockr

Starfall likes this.
  9. will65mcmanus

10. will65mcmanus

11. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

2.1 will be around in June. I'm waiting at the moment but will not wait for ever. ;)

12. Starfall

Thanks for the replies :)
    I have successfully rooted my Hero, and currently downloading villain 6.0 to flash to, then going to update to 6.1

Thanks for all the help!