hero or the tour?

Last Updated:

1. jbatzner22

jbatzner22 New Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have the blackberry tour and am somewhat happy with it. I am up for a new phone due to a glitch while transferring plans and I was wondering about the hero. I like everything about it.

has anyone else made the switch from a blackberry to the hero? or any similar devices? pros and cons from switching.

thx for input!

Advertisement
  2. nick325i

nick325i Well-Known Member

Pros: Applications, Applications, Applications, Widgets, 7 Home screens, Facebook Twitter flickr integration, better browsing, flash player, linux open source, memory management and pure flexibility.

Cons: Not equal battery life, no physical keyboard, learning curve, addiction to android forums.

3. bikedogrun

bikedogrun Well-Known Member

Yup, I was a many year BB user who sold his last BB (Tour) about a month ago.

For a heavy email user, the BB is the way to go... especially if you're getting (AND answering) like 75-100 or more emails per day and the majority of those are plain text. If you're mostly reading emails and replying only to 15-25 or so per day AND most of those you read are HTML emails, you will love the Hero!

Unlike a BB; which handles HTML email poorly at best, that is a real strength for Android & the Hero. Browsing the net on the Hero is far better too... I love being able to use multi-touch to grow shrink the text/pics on the screen and having my Hero "auto-magically" re-wrap the text to fit the screen. The tour can increase/decrease text size but "NOT" re-wrap to whatever size you prefer.

/BD :cool:

4. FlyerDroid

FlyerDroid Member

I switched from a tour to a hero. The only thing I miss from my tour is the battery life. Other than that, I am happy with my hero. One thing to keep in mind is that the tour was a messenger powerhouse, so if you are going to be doing a lot of emails, IM and text msg, stick with the tour.

5. MisterB

MisterB Well-Known Member

I came from a Tour. I was on my third Tour, due to poor trackball and signal strength problems. I was ready to send it in a 4th time, and then when all the BIS outages hit, I decided that was it! Seriously, they had two major outages in one week, and that was after a major one just a couple months ago. They traded me for a Hero, and I gotta tell you- I'm very impressed. In the back of my mind, I was worried that it would be more show than go, but it hasn't turned out to be that way. It is a very good and efficient business machine, that is also very fun on my off time to play with.

Typing on it is surprisingly good. I had a BB Pearl at one time, and wanted to throw it at the wall. I don't feel that way with the Android. The Tour is probably a bit better at typing, but not enough to compensate for all the other shortcomings. I mean, that OS? God, what an outdated pig. They just keep slapping stuff on it to make it better, but it needs a ground up overhaul, I'm afraid I've come to realize. Tour owners are all excited that they MIGHT get os 5.0 soon, that will have threaded sms LOL! My 6 year old Treo could do that.

Another thing I just LOVE is the seamless integration with Google for Gmail, calendars, contacts, etc. They all sync and sync well without any fuss. On BB, you have to get a master's degree in their product (which I feel I did) in order to get stuff set up properly, and then it doesn't seem to work like it should. Don't blow on it, or it might stop working basically.

No device is perfect, but this device is far closer to perfection than the Tour or any other BB is for that matter.

6. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I came from a Tour as well. I don't regret it one bit

7. Chief7

Chief7 Well-Known Member

Boy, am I glad to read these replies! My Hero is due to arrive tomorrow to replace a Tour that replaced another Tour. And I've been without email access for a week - and no one has been able to fix it! So, I'll fix it - I'll dump the Tour and go Hero.:D I appreciate your insight!

8. hempwallace

hempwallace Well-Known Member

I had 3 BB's over the last 5 years before switching to the Hero. Happy I made the switch.

9. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

I had a Curve and I really liked it. I loved messaging on it, definitely a powerhouse. Typing was a breeze on it. But the Hero is just amazing with the OS and the experience altogether. I do miss the keyboard at times because the Hero's keyboard lags a bit. I only notice this lag in the browser... typing in places like Twitter, regular sms, or IM actually types fine.

10. jjgjr75

jjgjr75 Member

I came from the Pearl and of course the Hero is a huge leap forward. But I do miss BBM and the Suretype (I actually got pretty used to the keyboard). I have larger fingers and after a month still have trouble typing on the Hero. I also think some of the apps for Blackberry integrate better on the BB than the Android version on the Hero. With that said you will not be disappointed as there are so many other great advantages already mentioned above.