• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hero Orange Unlocked or Debranded?

imran0413

Lurker
Mar 17, 2011
My Hero has Orange Logo on its back. Its build no. is "1.76.61.3 146733 CL#46012 release-keys". Firmware 1.5, Software 1.0.0.A6288. It has no traces of Orange and at boot time it shows HTC HERO. The question is wether my phone is unlocked by unlock keys or Debranded using Gold Card.
I purchase this used phone in this condition and do not have the unlock keys. I want to upgrade the firmware. Should I use OWA upgrad?
Please Help.

That is an orange build number, meaning it was unlocked using an unlock code.

Bear in mind that your firmware has absolutely no relation to whether or not the phone is unlocked; debranding a phone doesn't unlock it. Similarly, no matter what firmware you install the phone can't become relocked to orange :)

This is the most recent 1.5 Orange firmware. You should install that (which will wipe your phone's data entirely) and then you will be offered the 2.1 OTA update automatically.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones