Hero overheating

Last Updated:

1. t100driver

t100driver New Member This Topic's Starter

Just got my sprint hero last week. I noticed that while talking on the phone for longer than 5 minutes the phone seems to get extremely hot. In particular the speaker in the front and where the camera is in the back. The heat generated is really intense and is really uncomfortable after a certain amount of time. What I want to know is anybody else having this issue?

Advertisement
  2. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

That's a very unusual place to have heat issues. Generally if there's a problem, it's near the charger/battery.

My Hero has never gotten more than a little warm when using it while it was charging. It could be that you have a short somewhere in the phone. I suggest you take it in to be replaced.

3. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

Like quantumrand, I've never had an issue like you've described. I do notice it gets hot whilst charging, but not during a call, and even when it does heat up, it's never as intense as you are finding. I agree with quantumrand, I'd take it back.

4. jimbobmcginty

jimbobmcginty Well-Known Member

Hot is normal :)

But check your Awake time percentage too, see if you have a widget or an app keeping the phone awake. e.g. Messages widget. My Hero is less hot after disabling that.

5. spenspuma

spenspuma Well-Known Member

Mine gets hot from time to time...especially if you are using it whilst charging.

6. t100driver

t100driver New Member This Topic's Starter

No, its not normal that why I'm asking if anyone else is having this problem. It gets really hot on the places where I described earlier. The closest I can describe it as is it gets as hot or hotter as the bottom of a laptop that has been on for a few hours. Now imagine putting that next to your ear and face?

7. xd40

xd40 Member

Same here!

8. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

UK Hero here. Doesn't ever heat up, except to hand temperature..
    My iPod touch on the other hand.. Wow.

9. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Try listening to 128kbps internet radio for a couple of hours.... your Hero becomes a handy pocket hand warmer. :)

10. sleepyEDB

sleepyEDB Well-Known Member

Yep. And if you do this while charging...break out the marshmallows & graham crackers! :D

sleepy

11. nami322

nami322 New Member

I definitely have the same problem with the overheating. My phone actually turned off. Haven't figured out if it has permanent damage yet :(

12. clownboat

clownboat New Member

Today my Sprint hero was just shy of burning me though my shirt - screen off (I'd had it happen once when I'd pocketed it with the camera app running), not much running background. I used task killer on what was running, put it back in my pocket, and the same thing happened. Drained the battery right quick making all that heat. I'm charging it now for another try. Any ideas most welcome. It doesn't seem like it would be good for the hardware.

13. jimbobmcginty

jimbobmcginty Well-Known Member

Not the Hero, but I had a very similar problem with a Nokia E65.

I traced it to a Wifi router that, for whatever reason, made the phone misbehave and eat battery straight to flat, with similar interesting thermal characteristics :)

Maybe, maybe not related to yours but perhaps turn Wifi off and see?

14. wrflynn

wrflynn New Member

I was in a rural no coverage/ roaming area all day my first full day with the phone. I was wondering if that was part of the reason my Hero was so very warm and the battery drained in 6 hours. I made zero calls or texts and didn't use any applications at all! It was sitting in my pocket warm as a hand warmer and I'm not sure it's healthy for the phone. I mean it was WARM... like really warm. And I wasn't using it at all!

Since then, I've been home in a excellent coverage area and in five hours the battery has drained less than 50% with a few calls and youtube video's and a bunch of website views and it's still cool as a cucumber.

Any of you have thoughts about this???

15. FacsimileSmiles

FacsimileSmiles New Member

I am having the exact same problem; Today I got a call that lasted less than five minutes and my phone got really, really warm. Then I realized that the battery charge dropped 50% in less than an hour.

I spend a lot of time on campus (no turning off the wi-fi here!), and every time I come here my phone drains but quick, even if I'm not using the phone actively.

16. peachhead

peachhead New Member

I am having a similar problem. The trackball keeps burning my skin when I am on a call. This occurs even if the phone has been off for a long period of time.

Have you found a solution? I am on the phone with my service in order to contact the manufacturer.

17. jsmc

jsmc New Member

I've noticed the hero sometimes warms itself without provocation while in my pocket, accompanied by rapid battery drain Wifi is not on - I'm thinking there is some update underway? GPS is on. I've seen lots of conments here and NO answers - has anyone consulted HTC?

18. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Seems like this may be an issue with the CDMA (Sprint) Hero... might be better to ask here.