hero overheating

Last Updated:

1. huffman6977

huffman6977 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i have a rooted hero running sprint 2.1. if i run tether too long it gets hot and will not charge(the lights flash green and orange). i have it in a otterbox case. any ideas on how to keep it cool?????

Advertisement
  2. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

For starters, understand that tethering is known to get the phone really hot. Beyond that, all I can suggest is to remove the case while tethering to help it breathe some.

3. huffman6977

thanks, that was what i was thinking. will it hurt the phone to get that hot?

4. Joehunni

How hot are we talking, when mine is "hot" it's like 43C or 112F, how hot are you getting?

huffman6977 likes this.
  5. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Well-Known Member

when it overheats the phone is over 46C.

Depending on ambient temps it's easy to overheat the phone while charging and using it. For example, if i use sprint nav and charge in the car while the sun is hitting the phone, it'll overheat.
    When i use wifi tether i try to elevate the phone (just like a laptop when being used heavily) to make sure it has some air flow. Removing the battery door helps too.
    I'd definitely do that if you plan on being a heavy data user as heat is an enemy to most any electronic device, especially the battery.

- keep the screen off, ventilate, keep away from sun/warm areas and you should be fine.

huffman6977 likes this.
  6. Joehunni

Just out of curiosity, you say you are overheating, are you getting some kind of error message or just kinda assuming?

7. huffman6977

mine will get up to 46 and then start acting up. it's overheating with no error message. i just built a stand and put a case fan underneath it and now it works just fine.

8. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Well-Known Member

while charging, if too hot, the status light will flash green and red quickly.

Joehunni likes this.