Hero question, Im new..

Last Updated:

1. zx12richard

zx12richard Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I read some of the stuff and what I wanna figure out is whats running and what I need to know to keep phone running at good speeds. I seen one thread about home and sense but dont understand it..

Can someone give me the lowdown on keeping a good running phone without overloadig it with apps. Also some apps dont have exit how can I see if they closed???? I will be reading thru alot of site tomorrow trying to understand it. Thanxxxx for any help in advance.. Richard

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

There's a sticky at the top about task killers, check that out.

Essentially, the phone does a pretty good job of managing resources itself.

You could disable Sense, which is what makes android on the Hero look so awesome (not to mention the 7 screens lol), but that's not really a Hero to me then :p

Rooting and flashing a custom ROM will greatly increase the speed of your phone, and is actually fairly simple to do. Just make sure you do your research before you do, so you understand exactly what you're getting yourself into. There's a sub-forum at the top of the page about Rooting, with plenty of guides and links to get you started.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the hell out of the Hero, I certainly do

3. vw driver

vw driver Well-Known Member

If you download "spare parts" from the market, it will show you what has used how much. That will tell you if you have an app using a larger share of your processor/battery than you think it should.

4. zx12richard

zx12richard Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanxxxx guys, I downloaded spare parts and found the part to make a couple things faster. but dont fully understand it yet. Doing reading now on the sticky threads. Hope I understand the terminology or whatever you call it on some of the stuff. Thanks

5. durandetto

durandetto Well-Known Member

Check out Fresh's Pre-Kitchen it's a simple way to root yor phone, even if you don't know a lot about stuff like that. That's how I got my feet wet and now I'd say I'm pretty phone savvy. After you root, I would select a ROM (I personally like Fresh 1.1), then install the Gumbo kernal and setCPU. The new kernal does a great job at killing apps running in the backround.

6. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

Well, I use a task killer but do so sparingly. I use it mainly to see how an app behave's after I install it, i.e., does it unload properly, etc. Also, do load app's one or two at a time, see if they interact nicely with the phone, there are some out there that could use better coding.
    All in all, there is much information here to help you out with optimizing the Hero, of course, there are many here who will lend a helping hand too if you get stuck with something, just search first to see if there is already an answer to your situation.

:)

Happy Trails