hero questions and advice please

Last Updated:

1. Gabe

Gabe Active Member This Topic's Starter

I think it might be time to ditch my old iphone 2G, as its pretty slow with switching apps, almost no multitasking, sometimes contacts take 3-5 seconds before i can scroll.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what else is out there as I've been a fanboy over my iphone the past couple years. the HTC hero caught my attention recently, I've heard its only problem worth mentioning is performance and that was fixed with a unofficial 1.50 firmware update? can anyone comment on this?

are maps built into the hero's gps so no data service is required for gps? TomTom GPS for the iphone 3G/3GS don't need data service for maps because they are built into the app.

Can you change/pause/play music tracks with the physical buttons on the hero? one of my problems with the iphone is you have to take it out of your pocket, unlock it, and have superpower eyesight outside in the sun to change a song.

if you've owned both htc touch and iphone, please give feedback/comparisons.

any other phones out there you think I should know about please? what about the mytouch 3G? I'd mention the palm pre but the screen size is kinda small. does anything else out there compare the SenseUI on the hero?

I'm looking for multitasking, UI, and performance.

Advertisement
  2. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Well-Known Member

There will be an official update for the hero soon. Probably in the next week. It will make the phone perform way better.

The mt3g is the same as the hero basically except without the sense UI. I like sense but you'd have to decide for yourself. The pre is actually really nice. I was so close to getting it. The screen is only 0.1 inches smaller than the hero.

3. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

Just to elaborate, the MyTouch 3G (aka HTC Magic) is not quite the same as the Hero, but it's close. The magic has NO 3.5mm headphone jack, so you need to use the USB adapter. Also, the Magic has a 3.2MP camera, as opposed to the 5MP camera of the Hero. Lastly, the Magic does not have the "teflon coating."

One HUGE benifit of the Magic though, is the capability to use 3G data service. In the MyTouch 3G version, Tmobile's 3G is available, and if you get the Canadian HTC Magic (for Roger's Wireless), you can use AT&T's 3G service.

4. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Well-Known Member

I think this guy's talking about the sprint hero. And yes, all those differences are true.

5. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, in the case of the Sprint Hero, you will have 3G on the Sprint network. I just assumed you were considering sticking with AT&T based on your previous phones (HTC Touch and iPhone).

In my opinion, AT&T is the absolute worst carrier to be with if you want to try Android, and I don't expect AT&T to get any decent Android phones until next summer, most likely due to presure from Apple.

6. Gabe

I'm not sure who your talking to but I've only had the iphone, not the HTC touch. I'm not in a contract with any carrier.

whats the difference between the HTC hero and Sprint hero? I wonder if I could sell my iphone 2G on ebay for around $250 and then use that money to buy the hero from sprint? the hero's on ebay cost around $500 so I guess I would have to sign up for a 2-year contract with sprint to avoid spending $500 for a ebay one.

7. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

I believe the Hero beats my iPhone 3G, never mind the 2G.

Also, I would have to disagree with you on the maps not needing data - unless you store the maps locally on the handset itself. The handset has to display the map data somehow, and unless all the maps in all the zoom scales are downloaded to the phone itself - how does it get map info?

You could be right - I'm often wrong! ;)

8. Gabe

are you referring to what I said? TomTom for the iphone has all its own maps for US and canada. the app is over a gig in size actually.

9. trick202

Well, that's me told then.

Carry on peeps, nothing to see here.

;)

10. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

In fact; thats the best way to use a phone for nav. With all the maps on the sd cards, the phone only needs GPS connection.

With the nav apps that download maps, they are more current, but it only works if you have a good cell data signal. If Im in the middle of nowhere trying to navigate, it's likely cell signals will come and go, making the nav applicatiin useless. You can always have gps signal, unless you are in a tunnel.

11. Gabe

so what app do people use that has maps on the sd card with the hero.

12. trick202

We normally just settle for kick-ass coverage. ;)

Just kidding. Take a look on the market.......

13. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

I used Tom Tom on my WM phone. The maps do take up about 1GB on the sd card (USA maps) This site reported Tom Tom is workign on an android version. I dont know if its available yet.

14. Gabe

I looked on the android market website but there was no search or categorys to look in.

15. hoppy1986

hoppy1986 Well-Known Member

there a a few apps on the market for sat nav.
    foxNav (i havnt tried this, its

16. SamIam

SamIam Active Member

GABE...I believe that the iPhone is the only smart phone that don't multitask. so, you prob only have to search for UI and Performance. I'm sure you like the HERO UI...that's why you are asking about it (the HERO). Performance...sure it was laggy when it first launched, but since you are in the states...the HERO will be out on Sprint...most likely will be released with the updated firmware to iron out all the performance issues.

Plus, you have 30 days to try it out. So, get the HERO.