• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero questions

subhramani

Sep 30, 2009
Hi there. I bought the HTC hero a couple if weeks back and I'm still trying to get used to the symbian to Android change.
I have a couple if things which I would like to ask.

1. There is no option to close an application. I read that android closes the applications as and when more memory is required. So there is no chance one can close an application manually?

2. The phone only imports the picture and birthday into the contacts. Is there no chance I can import the email address and the telephone number? I require that more than the birthday info.

3. The WiFi signal seems to be very bad. Not sure if it'd an issue only with me. The location where I have full signal in my laptop and my Nokia N82, I only have one bar of signal in my HTC hero.

Really quick answers:

1. You are correct & I never worry about it (have had my Hero for 2 months plus now). There is an app you can download from the Market called TASKILLER i think.

2. If you are talking about the Facebook link to the Hero, that is correct. You can get more Facebook contact information by downloading the Facebook app from the Market. The app also provides a livefolder, which has a phonebook showing your contacts details, though it is a bit crap really.

If you are talking about GoogleMail linking to the Hero, this is the best way to get all your contact information into your phone.

3. Make sure you have updated the phone ROM to the latest version (especially before doing much customisation to the phone, as it will wipe the phone clean - but not your SD card). Think there was a radio update & my phone tends to receive stronger signals since the update.

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I tried task killer and it doesnt really seem to kill the applications. When you press and hold the Home button, you can still see the applications running.

And about the ROM upgrade, I live in India and we still dont officially have an upgrade here. So I havent been able to upgrade anything as of now.

Also, one main question which I forgot to ask... When I go into Albums, all I see are camera shots, All photos and all videos. Cant I create photo albums myself?

Upvote 0
Unless I'm mistaken, a long-press on Home just gives you the last six apps you ran, that may or may not still be running.

For Facebook linking, the Hero doesn't import the e-mail addresses because Facebook doesn't display e-mail addresses as pure text, but rather as a graphic (to stop spam spiders reading them). Though why they do that with e-mail addresses and not Windows Live addresses which are the same thing, I don't know, but I digress.

Can't help the third one, I'm afraid - I get full wireless signal with any of my usual hotspots, same as I do off my Netbook or my old 6301.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones