Hero screen has green dots

Last Updated:

1. Gustav2

Gustav2 Member This Topic's Starter

Hello guys, GREAT forum you have here :D

Well, at saturday ive got my HTC Hero, and you know, it was great.
    But.. When i turned it on for the first time(and all other times) there were a kind of ''dots'' on the screen.
    It look a bit like the picture down there(this is just made in Paint, but it really looked like that)
    [​IMG]

Then i went to the place where i bought it(called 'Telia', a kind of Orange, just in Denmark) and they gave me a new one. But.. The same problem, just a little few(er?) dots.

Then i just want to ask you if thats normal, or i just was unlucky the get two bad phones.. I am going to get a new one again in a hour.

REALLY HOPE THAT SOMEONE KNOWS SOMETHING ABOUT IT :)

//Gustav

Advertisement
  2. mjcook1984

mjcook1984 Active Member

Sounds like dead pixels I've got 2 on mine which are only noticeable if the screen is completely black but if there's that many as in ur paint pic then yes take it back. Any more than two and Its a definate return for me. Check ur next one before u leave the store. But yes thats not normal

3. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I think they probably have a batch of bad phones! Never had it with mine, and the fact they replace it probably confirms theres something wrong :p

4. Gustav2

Gustav2 Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you for the fast replies! I'll wait till tomorrow for replacing it.

5. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Got 4 dead pixels on mine, but i only ever notice them if i'm rebooting - theyre invisible to all intents and purposes the rest of the time.

It's a common problem to most handheld devices these days. My MP3 player has a couple, and so does a friend's iPhone. Meh, that's bleeding edge technology at minimal profit margins for you.

@Gustav2: make sure they dont give you the first one back again :D

6. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Even though it may be common, I wouldn't accept it from the manufactuer. I have no dead pixels on my zune, hero or psp. I know that some companies have in their warranty that a device can only be returned if it has a certain percentage of dead pixels or something, which i think is wrong.

7. daveybaby

You can think it's wrong, but the alternative is that every device sold has no dead pixels, but you pay 5-10x the cost for the screen. On a monitor or TV where that's a large percentage of the cost of the device, i suspect you might change your mind given the choice between pretty cheap and ridiculously expensive.

Note that dead pixels are much harder to avoid on handheld devices, the screens may be lower resolution, but because theyre so small the pixel density is so much greater than for even a very high res monitor, thus pixel size is smaller, thus it makes error-free manufacturing tolerances that much tighter.

If it was a computer monitor then i would probably pay extra for a dead pixel check from the supplier (heh, especially since the ones that fail will get shipped to people who dont pay for the check), but on a phone when i cant even notice it (even if i look for it) during normal use i can live with it.

8. AndroidEd

AndroidEd Well-Known Member

I've had about 6 of them, but now I can't seem to only see 2 remarkably, the others aren't so apparent anymore!

9. daveybaby

They can disappear over time, and new ones can appear even if you never had any before.

10. AndroidEd

AndroidEd Well-Known Member

I know, I just hope my phone doesn't get ruined from these little pests.

11. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

You can try massaging the dead pixels gently, and there's an app on the Marketplace for detecting and trying to correct dead pixels. Try searching for 'pixel tester' or something like that. It should have a feature that flashes the screen through different colors fairly quickly. While it's doing that, massage around the dead pixels.

My Hero has one dead pixel, and it makes me sad...It's pretty much only visible when the screen is on but black (ie booting up). If I had purchased it from my local cellular provider, I would have exchanged it until I got one with no dead pixels, but I got mine from ebay, and one pixel isn't worth the trough (and money) to ship it back and exchange it.