Hero software update-Orange users

Last Updated:

1. Antiman

Antiman Member This Topic's Starter

Asked Orange about the upcoming update and whether it would be available to Orange users this was thier response-

'Thank you for your email regarding your HTC phone.

I am very sorry to learn of the situation outlined in your email. I understand how frustrating this can be and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I would like to advise you are able to download the latest ROM update for your HTC phone from the link below as soon as it has been released. It is regrettable that we do not have a date when this will be released yet..

Please make sure the handset is backed up before you process your ROM update, as the handset will restored to manufacturers settings during the process. If you wish to update your ROM, please copy and paste the following link into your Internet Explorer.
    http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Sa...96364420640&product=Feature&t=Product&tabid=1

Advertisement
  2. Wahwah

Wahwah Well-Known Member

It's not out anywhere yet, is it.

Hardly worth getting worked about yet.

3. nafe

nafe Well-Known Member

It does seem to imply that you'd need to download the update via Orange rather than direct from HTC. However, that email reads like it was written by someone who really doesn't know what's going on. I expect we'll only really know how Orange phones fair with the HTC update once it's released.

4. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I have an unlocked Orange branded Hero.

Will I have to update through Orange or can I get the HTC firmware?

5. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

LOL, Orange does not even have that link updated,
    IE no HTC Hero in their drop down menu.

6. macdo03

macdo03 New Member

MartinS, I have just bought an Orange branded Hero and am not sure which site to use in order to unlock it. If you unlocked yours, please could you provided a website and your experience, it will be greatly appreciated. I also hope that I can update directly from HTC rather than dealing with Orange.
    Thanks

7. daveparki

daveparki New Member

if you update through htc then that voids your warranty, however that will only come into effect if your phone needs fixing or replacing by orange, regards

8. MartinS

I bought mine pre-unlocked on ebay. I did look at unlock sites before I did this as it would have been slightly cheaper to do this.

Unlocking looks straight forward enough. In most cases pay your money and wait for a code to be sent to you which you directly enter to the phone.

9. hatch

hatch Member

If you bought a handset on Orange (I used to be an Orange customer) they slap their own modified version of the firmware on the handset (that's the casr for Nokia's at least) and I can't imagine they will do anything special for 1 manufacturer.

If you got the handset from Orange then I would unfortunately advise sticking with their updates as it could totally screw up the handset. The best thing to do is to raise a query with HTC and see if they can shine any light on the situation.

Having said all of the above, if no-one can help, the best thing is to try the HTC standard update first because it will probably let you know if you have to use a "custom" version. :eek:

10. MartinS

If I update on Orange, is it likely to re-lock the handset?

11. hatch

hatch Member

It's possible. I don't know how HTC do their updates but I would try the standard one first and if that doesn't work, do the Orange one.

The problem with this is that you're going to have to wait for both to be available because if the HTC one conflicts with the Orange modified firmware (if it is modded and not just locked) then you may be left with a dud phone. Personally I would stick with the manufacturers updates because if they cock-up the handset then they are the warranty holders too!

12. hatch

hatch Member

I must point out that this is from previous experience with other phones...not android ones.

13. nafe

nafe Well-Known Member

The problem with waiting is that it looks as though HTC are releasing some updates fairly quickly, and I expect Orange are not going to make it a priority to authorise and modify these updates for their own handsets. I've not ordered the Hero from Orange yet as I'm waiting to see whether they can be updated from HTC. Hopefully I'll find out in a couple of days.

14. spurs4life

spurs4life Member

I was told by orange at the weekend they will only release the update if enough people raise issues with them about the current release.

So get phoning!

15. hatch

hatch Member

If you don't want a Hero on Orange, go to where I got mine and I got it on a Vodafone contract. You also have the free choice of a 12, 18 or 24 month contract!

See Cheap Mobile Phones @ OneStopPhoneShop. They got bought by the carphone warehouse some time ago but you will not find the same deals in the carphone warehouse!

16. prepbgg

prepbgg Well-Known Member

hatch, I've just been to the Cheap Mobile Phones website. Under Vodaphone are listed a few offers which include "Mobile Internet" and many that don't. Are they really offering to sell the Hero without internet access?