• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero Specs Dropped on HTC.com

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
Hardware specs are looking mighty impressive on the HTC Hero. A few of the ones that caught my eye:Memory ROM: 512 MBRAM: 288 MBCamera 5.0 megapixel color camera with auto focusBattery Rechargeable Lithium-ion batteryCapacity: 1350 mAhTalk time:Up to 420 minutes for WCDMAUp to 470 minutes for GSMStandby time:Up to 750 hours for WCDMAUp [...]

More...

Spec-wise, it's the same as the magic, right?

I like the multitouch, the UI, and most of the design- that chin is horrible though. Also like how HTC tried to tweak the OS for improved battery life. Finally! I hate the lack of memory.

The big question is how will updates work since it's not a "google" phone? When Donut is released, do HTC Hero owners have to wait until HTC releases the update?

It's a good update for HTC/Android, but does anybody think that Android is increasingly becoming a European thing? By the time we get the Magic, Europe will have the Dream, Magic, and Hero, along with the Samsung Galaxy.

Upvote 0
I'm guessing without the "Google experience" just means less customized apps installed by default. You get a more bare Android OS. But usually doesn't mean you can't get them yourself. It may take more work and a bit of know-how. But there's no reason for Google to disable/block installing their apps on a generic Android phone.

Upvote 0
I am still unclear as to whether apps will install OTA on the Hero as this is not clearly stated, all we know is this is not a google phone, as such, HTC might think it not a big deal to not have OTA apps install. Who knows?
But as you say, it might just be the updates, but even for my magic, it appears there is no updates all the time, which seemed unlikely, every time I go to that update screen, almost instantly it says you have the latest without even first checking with the server at all:eek:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
OTA app installs should apply for all phones. The firmware you may have to go in to your local carrier store to do because it's a more critical low-level component of the phone, and if something goes wrong, like the wireless connection is disconnected prematurely, it could cripple the device. That's the reason why it may not be applied OTA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones