Hero Specs Dropped on HTC.com

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

Hardware specs are looking mighty impressive on the HTC Hero. A few of the ones that caught my eye:Memory ROM: 512 MBRAM: 288 MBCamera 5.0 megapixel color camera with auto focusBattery Rechargeable Lithium-ion batteryCapacity: 1350 mAhTalk time:Up to 420 minutes for WCDMAUp to 470 minutes for GSMStandby time:Up to 750 hours for WCDMAUp [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. athlaig

athlaig Well-Known Member

as nice as this phone looks, is it even worth getting if it comes to america and the phone doesnt have the google stamping on it. i want all the functionality of google, or will the differences not even matter?

3. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member

Spec-wise, it's the same as the magic, right?

I like the multitouch, the UI, and most of the design- that chin is horrible though. Also like how HTC tried to tweak the OS for improved battery life. Finally! I hate the lack of memory.

The big question is how will updates work since it's not a "google" phone? When Donut is released, do HTC Hero owners have to wait until HTC releases the update?

It's a good update for HTC/Android, but does anybody think that Android is increasingly becoming a European thing? By the time we get the Magic, Europe will have the Dream, Magic, and Hero, along with the Samsung Galaxy.

4. Jayziac

Jayziac Well-Known Member

I'm guessing without the "Google experience" just means less customized apps installed by default. You get a more bare Android OS. But usually doesn't mean you can't get them yourself. It may take more work and a bit of know-how. But there's no reason for Google to disable/block installing their apps on a generic Android phone.

5. homemade-jam

homemade-jam Member

Is the 'sense ui' the official name for Haykuro's rosie?

I'll be really disappointed if they don't keep all android phones in line with the same OS Version - that was one of the major sellings points!

6. bigshape

bigshape Member

as far as i'm aware - rosie/sense is a skin applied to android 1.5 at the o.s. level by htc. (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong though...)

7. paloverde88

paloverde88 Member

Apparently the biggest disappointment with the hero is no OTA install for apps and not a Google phone means less Google options

8. Esquire0399

Esquire0399 New Member

From what I read on engadget this is incorrect. Firmware updates will not be OTA, however app installs should still be. Correct me if I'm wrong.

9. paloverde88

paloverde88 Member

I am still unclear as to whether apps will install OTA on the Hero as this is not clearly stated, all we know is this is not a google phone, as such, HTC might think it not a big deal to not have OTA apps install. Who knows?
    But as you say, it might just be the updates, but even for my magic, it appears there is no updates all the time, which seemed unlikely, every time I go to that update screen, almost instantly it says you have the latest without even first checking with the server at all:eek:

10. Mansn

Mansn Well-Known Member

11. paloverde88

paloverde88 Member

12. Jayziac

Jayziac Well-Known Member

OTA app installs should apply for all phones. The firmware you may have to go in to your local carrier store to do because it's a more critical low-level component of the phone, and if something goes wrong, like the wireless connection is disconnected prematurely, it could cripple the device. That's the reason why it may not be applied OTA.