Hero - Unable to unlock screen

Last Updated:

1. cyearns

cyearns Active Member This Topic's Starter

The issue in a nutshell is that my hero fails to respond to input. I have wiped and loaded up a custom rom, and put it back to factory with no luck. Below are the details

I had 2.1 installed from Sprint but started having response issues, so I loaded up Fresh 2.3.3 but I don't think the problems are with the ROM. The main issue was that the phone was just generally unresponsive, aka, unable to unlock the screen, and if it would eventually unlock, you couldn't click on anything on the screen. This was why I wiped and loaded up a custom ROM but it didn't change anything.

I was able to get into the adb shell and look at the processes. CPU usage was only about 15 to 20%, so fairly normal (in comparison to my Hero, I'm working on Joes). I also looked at the log and it records the touch screen input instantly, but it never actually responds on the display. It would note a few things that were timing out, but I don't recall what they were, nor did I recognize what they were.

So I was trying to reload the factory firmware on it last night but every time the Hero would reboot the PC could never connect to the bootloader. I tried it on my work PC and it did the same thing. So I tried it on a Win XP box it worked fine. I got it loaded back to the factory firmware this morning (twice actually), and after it boots up, again next to no response from the screen.

Anywho, I have no idea what the problem is, but I'm going to take it to Sprint today and see if they can do somethign with it. I bought it off ebay, and after rooting/custom ROMs, I'm not sure if they will touch it. I think I've wiped any sign that it was ever rooted off there, but I'm not sure.

I can't get back into the shell because I can't get far enough into the phone to enable USB debugging, in fact I can't even get past the intro on how to type because it won't respond.

If you have any ideas, shoot them my way.

Advertisement
  2. cyearns

Just another interesting thing - I just received a phone call on it - I couldn't answer it, nor could I clear it. The screen unlocked but never showed who was calling it took about 3 minutes to show the missed called on the screen.

It's like somethign is seriously hampering it's performance, but what could it be after a clean install?

3. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

Flash it with the RUU then you can take it to Sprint.

4. cyearns

That was half the problem but I was finally able to get it back to stock. However they offered to exchange it without even looking at it.