Hero Update is coming on Friday...General

Last Updated:

1. ludist210

ludist210 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, so says Best Buy. That should mean the Droid Eris update isn't far behind.

Advertisement
  2. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

The HERO has nothing to do with Verizon though, so any speculation is foolish...

5thElement likes this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

It's funny how when I was anxiously waiting for the OTA, I was counting days. But since I leaked the v3 version, I don't even know what day it is anymore..

This could be a good sign of things to come though, we'll see.

4. tonyb81

tonyb81 Well-Known Member

I'll speculate that the Hero and Eris are just about the same phone, and I firmly believe that the whole 2.1 wait is more on HTC getting Sense to work with 2.1 than carries pushing the update. With that said, I don't expect to see the official 2.1 on Eris at the same time as the Hero, it is promising news.

5. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I'd also say that kernel release was a pretty good sign. Weird that they released it before they even sent OTA. Last time they took several months to release it.

6. draconus

draconus Well-Known Member

I recall a rumour from verizon that one of the issues with the 2.1 update for the eris is that it would wipe your info even through OTA. I'm wondering if Sprint decided it wasn't worth dealing with that and just released the ROM and with a disclaimer that applying the update WILL wipe their info on the phone itself and that they need to back up their stuff BEFORE updating (which is good practice, anyhow!)

Either way if it's true the eris update "may" not be to far behind, since the Hero and Eris are basically the same phone.

7. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

We may be mistaken to think that HTC is the sole bottleneck in the pathway from their developers of the updates to our phones.

It has been expressed more than once from credible sources that Verizon has their own testing apparatus in place, and that their criteria must be satisfied before they will allow release of the OTA.

I am nearly certain that the completed software has been rejected by our carrier at least once, causing HTC to do further analysis and development and causing Eris users to expect to add weeks beyond ongoing projected OTA dates.

8. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

Yes, I looked at the picture in the link that was posted, it wipes everything and advises you to backup everything to an SD Card before updating. Which probably means that the devs gave up and we SHOULD be getting it soon. I hope.

9. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

Call me pessimistic, but I cannot see any painless way that they can roll out a "mandatory OTA" of this Firmware to all users, there are just too many variables involved.

I know it has been stated before, but the Moto Droid was already running a 2.x code and this was merely a 15mb update for bug fixing and feature enhancement, not a complete overhaul of the OS.

2.1 for our phones may or may not be "fully cooked" yet when you factor in Sense and the hardware capabilities, but I imagine logistics of distribution is playing a significant role in this as well.

EDIT: Before anyone goes coo coo for cocoa puffs on me, I DO believe we will get an *authorized* 2.1, but how smoothly and efficiently that happens is anyone's guess!

10. smacky

smacky Banned

I remember the days when every sentence began with "Once we get root...".

Today, only a minority have root and since root was supposed to make OTAs "pointless", it's great to the crap we're looking forward to now.

11. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

The update is out of HTC's hands at this point... well, sorta. Verizon is running the show here and they'll decide when it goes out, not HTC. Verizon is testing 2.1 internally and by way of leaks, externally, as well. Depending on any issues they find, Verizon may have the means to fix them themselves or they may have to go back to HTC.

Sense works with 2.1 already. That is NOT the hold-up.

12. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Some were attracted to rooting until it became obvious that 1.5 was not being rooted, but was being tossed for 2.1.

Some bowed out because over clocking was not a benefit of rooting.

Many post that the idea of rooting seems cool, but are willing to wait for the OTA first.

..etc.