Hero vs Desire dilemma

Last Updated:

1. craigio86

craigio86 Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have a Hero in month 8 of an 18 month contract with Orange (able to upgrade to a new handset on 23rd December) but I have money from my 21st birthday...

My questions is, is it worth buying a Desire? I've searched for threads on the subject, but there doesn't seem to be many forum members who went from Hero to Desire. I've looked through the reviews for the Desire - most seem to compare it to the Legend rather than the Hero - and had a quick play with a demo model in the shop, but I'm still hesitant.

Can anybody tell me what the real deal breakers are? I know it's a lot faster, but are the other improvements enough to warrant spending over

Advertisement
  2. UKseagull

UKseagull Well-Known Member

I haven't owned a Hero but my friend has one, he's very happy with it. He was here at the weekend and the one thing that's apparent is that the overall speed of the Desire is quite a bit nippier, i.e the menu's, videos, software seem to load quicker and smoother.

I've only had my desire since last week so perhaps I'm not best qualified to give advice. :)

Regarding new hardware, there's always something better and quicker around the corner. ;)

3. jaybea830802

jaybea830802 Well-Known Member

I went from a Hero to a Desire. The move was worth it in terms of performance and Android 2.1. It could be worth waiting to see what the upgrade to 2.1 is like on the Hero, when it happens. More importantly, it would be worth waiting to see whether HTC provide an update to FroYo (2.2) on the Desire or whether they delay it like they did on the Hero. If it looks like that is going to happen, then waiting for the next HTC handset could be a better option.

As well as the cost of the phone, you also need to factor in things like cases and cables and desk stands which are not compatible. A particular issue for me as the move from Mini USB on the Hero to Micro USB on the Desire. I had lots of mini USB cables but only one micro USB which means buying more so that I can charge easily wherever I am.

craigio86 likes this.
  4. delinear

delinear Well-Known Member

I don't have direct experience with the Hero, but I'd say it might be worth waiting until the Desire gets Android 2.2 (or at least a definite release date) before you make your decision, as that promises to turn a great phone into an amazing phone (and likewise if it doesn't happen or takes forever or creates a bunch of new bugs, it might turn out to be a deal breaker).

5. delinear

delinear Well-Known Member

The advantage of this is that the major phone manufacturers have agreed to this being the new "universal" phone standard. From 2012 most new phones will use micro USB, so while it's a bit annoying having to pay out now, it should be something you can use on any new phone in the foreseeable future (and theoretically we might be able to keep our existing chargers to get new phones a little cheaper in the future).

6. fangorn

fangorn Member

if i were i think i would wait, my friend just bought a desire, i played around with it quite often, yes its faster than my hero, but i think not good enough for me to replace rite now

7. craigio86

craigio86 Member This Topic's Starter

thanks for the advice everybody. I'm currently in the mind of waiting - but I'll go to the shop and have another play - hopefully a longer one - before making up my mind. I can't see me committing until the 2.1 upgrade for the Hero has arrived. Furthermore, if the current rumours about a new version of the Desire with a physical keyboard come to something (though, I'm not sure they will given the same rumours existed about the Hero) I'll be holding out for that.

My only real gripes with the Hero are the inability to use newer apps and features due to 1.5 and the occasional struggle of the keyboard and lag of the OS - if 2.1 addresses that problem, I'll hang on for certain.

8. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

I had the Hero, now I have the desire (I had a few other devices in between).

My first reaction to the desire when I started using it was: "oh look, it's a big Hero". There's nothing on the Desire that you can't do with the Hero with some tinkering. IMHO, the speed thing is not all that. It's the OS that's the bottleneck, not the hardware.

See what HTC do with the Hero. I vowed never to buy another HTC product after the Hero - but I have given them one last chance. June/July is a very interesting and exciting time for us all. Just be a patient for a while longer.

9. APK

APK Active Member

My daughter has a hero, and it was that, that made we change from a touch pro 2, the hero was so smooth compared to WM on the TP2.

I now have a desire, which I love, it is like an "iphone" in that it just works! no constant resets, but really whether it is much better than the hero I am not sure.

Personally I would save your money, if you can get an upgrade at christmas, I suspect there will be a successor to the desire's successor by then!

10. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I went from Hero to Desire, massive difference, especially as I still have the Hero (given to my gf), putting them side to side you can see just how much better the screen is, in size and visuals. A Lot faster too. My gf always takes me Desire and says she doesn't want the Hero any more :p

But... only December, if you are not completely excited by the Desire or phones then I would probably wait until your contract is up, there will probably be a better phone by then anyway. Because you made this thread i'd say spend the money on something else (unless there is nothing else), people who should upgrade with probably woulnd't have made this thread ;P

But then again its bloody gorgeous. I use my phone 5 hours+ a day so the upgrade was well worth the money for me.

11. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

There's a member selling his Black Desire (orange) for