• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero vs Moment... HTC vs Samsung

which phone will be more current in 18 months?

• EVO

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • EPIC

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dan330

Extreme Android User
Jan 22, 2010
this is more of a which to go with... for long term usage.

I have a hero.. and the dev community is still going strong after End-of-Life. Running Froyo now.. and I see that aosp is working on Gingerbread. I am still able to find so many new things to help my hero run better and keep up to date.

I am not really up on the Samsung moment..

I have been keeping up on the EVO and EPIC development.

I know that the EPIC has better hardware than the EVO. Like the Moment had better hardware than the Hero. But from my perspective.. the Hero is better and still current.

Back to the EVO and EPIC..
which will be more current.. 18 months from now?

The Moment was a dud from launch. It shouldn't even be spoken of for fear that someone might, at some point, say "hey, that sounds familiar" and look to obtain one... I don't want to have that person's resulting personal hell weighing on my conscience, and neither should you.

Now, back to Evo/Epic.

Short answer is that, obviously, the Epic hardware will be more current through time. Though I'm not sure if you will see real substantial differences between what it will allow the Epic to do in conparison to the Evo.

On the other hand, the Evo software will be more current as time passes (Samsung doesn't do well, historically... ever as far as I know, for keeping their previously released handsets up to date in a timely manner).

Though after 18 months they will both have obsolete hardware and will no longer be receiving manufacturer updates... So to answer your question, in 18 months it will not make any difference at all... except for the hardware keyboard and the different types/sizes of the screens.

Upvote 0
Critic...

thanks for the response. and I agree that official updates from mfg will not be coming for that long.

but I was more refering to was .. CUSTOM ROMs from the dev community.
based on history... HTC product would be more likely to be supported longer by developers.
but the Epic is the same as the Nexus S, which makes you think that the development community for it should be strong for that long.

Upvote 0
Well I've had both. I had a Moment all year long, and when it had some issues, I took it in for repair, and was offered a Hero as a replacement as there were no more Moments. The flash on the camera was great. The slide action on the keyboard was smooth and solid. The keys felt good. Overall, the phone was terribly laggy. It played Angry Birds well. The Moment was a solid device if you wanted a basic smartphone/Android experience and required a good keyboard. However, I was having issues with the proximity sensor not being responsive. It couldn't handle 3D graphics well at all. No multitouch, and that actually should have been the deal breaker but I didn't know any better when I got it.

The Hero has a superior touch screen, its way more responsive. The flash is missed, but with plenty of light it takes better pictures IMO. The Sense UI is great and provides all the features I could want right there. The Hero is very laggy at times, and unfortunately that's where rooting is almost mandatory to install a ROM that runs more smoothly than stock. The processor isn't as fast as the Moment's, even when overclocked. The Hero has Flash Lite and multitouch, but pluses. In overall concept the Hero is a better device that I should have went with from the beginning.

Bottom line, IMO: A rooted HTC Hero > Samsung Moment

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones