Hero vs Moment - which has better PHONE features??Support

Last Updated:

1. hed1117

hed1117 New Member This Topic's Starter

I have the hero, my first smartphone, and as much as I am beguiled by all the bells and whistles, first and foremost I need reliable phone features ie easy to dial, loud enough to hear, good/great speakerphone - all qualities of my built-like-a-brick, easy to dial, loud as hell Sanyo MM-9000, recently deceased.

I'm considering the Moment because I am constantly misdialing, inadvertently hanging up, missing calls and fighting with the speakerphone button hidden in the menu bar. I also find that if the phone isn't right up against my ear (w/o speaker) I can't tell if it's dialing or even if someone has answered. And no, I'm not deaf, maybe a little harder of hearing than 20 years ago (I'm 57) but I've never had a phone before that you couldn't hear anything on unless it was right against your head.

So please somebody tell me that the phone experience on the Moment may be a little better, especially volume/clarity on the speakerphone...

One thing I discovered while briefly examining the Moment at the Sprint store was a virtual dial pad with big round keys - that looked promising compared to the cramped keys on my Hero.

Advertisement
  2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

The Moment to me, is a lot better all around.

Physical keyboard, electronic touchpad, faster CPU, bigger dial keys, etc etc. Great phone!

3. danielg

danielg Active Member

IMO, the phone should be a phone first, then the other stuff later.

I had the hero and absolutely hated the lag with the dialing, having my face hit mute or talk again, accidentally calling someone else etc.

As a phone, and only a phone, the moment wins hands down. People who disagree are lying to themselves.

For an awesome feature rich user interface, the hero wins. I had the hero, and I was totally in love with the feature set. The way it looked, what it did etc.

Overall performance though, goes to the moment. As much as I loved the Hero's ui, when it lags, even if it's just a little bit, it lags. When I click something, or swipe, I want it to work, not a full second later.

I think the ear piece on both is about the same, the speakerphone on the moment is louder.

4. 5280droid

5280droid Well-Known Member

YES...BIG DIAL PAD on The Moment....small dial pad on the Hero.
    If you miss the 0 on the hero....."call" is right below it.....i've called alot of half dialed numbers. Very, very frustrating.

too bad you cant get a bigger dial pad for the Hero......wait....its been rooted.
    HHmm....how can I get the Moment dial pad on the Hero???

5. deadsoccer

deadsoccer Member

Moment is a much better for the core apps of phone, text and email. You won't have any prob with the phone app on the moment be it lag dial, number entry, or face hang up. The moment does have issues with gps and battery drain, but as a communication device it is much better than the hero.

I miss my hero when using the moment for internet but am still glad I switched because for me phone text and email were the most important

6. lesl15

lesl15 Member

I just got my Moment a couple of days ago after researching for over a month, trying to decide between Hero and Moment. I thought the Moment would be the more practical choice. After using it for two days now, I think I will return for the Hero. It is a nice phone, but the slide out keyboard, though useful, is very loose. My son has a Rant that has a tighter slide out. The Moment is very thick, and my hands are not particularly small. There are things I like about the phone, it does have a very bright display (too bright, maybe?), but it is really coming down to the slippery keyboard getting on my last nerve. Plus, after a while I realized it is just not a comfortable hold. I like to keep my phone in hand. This one, I just want to lay it down somewhere! I cannot import my ymail to gmail, but hear this is an Android issue. Am wondering if this can be done on the Hero?

7. AndroidSPCS

Sounds like user error with the contacts. Not sure what you mean by the keyboard being slippery, have no problems with it whatsoever, and this is coming from slick blackberry keyboards, and the squishy Palm keyboards.

8. lesl15

lesl15 Member

By keyboard being slippery, I mean the slide out keyboard is loose and slides open slightly frequently.

9. AndroidSPCS

Maybe a defective unit, it happens with all gadgets. Maybe see if you can get it serviced or trade in for another one.