• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help hero vs moment?

I purchased the Hero about 5 days ago...and with the 30 day return policy I'll be able to return it if the Moment is able to step up . But..I've gotta tell ya.....im really enjoying the Hero. I wish the Moment had a bigger display....but I still think its going to be a Modder's dream.

Yeah a bigger screen would definitely be killer. I haven't been able to play around with a Hero yet just have this crappy old iPhone!! So I have been living vicarously through YouTube videos lol.

Upvote 0
I think people are forgetting that even if 1.6 or 2.0 came out, with SenseUI you'd have to wait till HTC released their update, not Android or Sprint.

I don't mind the stock Android as I've had a HTC Diamond for a while now, and it's nothing special. In fact, it's annoying. It can be slow, it lags the system down (you are running a skin over the original OS, basically), and it's basically just eye-candy.

Anyway, I think it looks good, but the specs and keyboard make me want to get the Moment. I think for a slightly thicker (.1") and slightly heavier (one ounce) phone the QWERTY is worth it.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, I've had my Hero for a couple of weeks now and LOVE IT! Comming from winmo make this thing seem like GOD! Gone are the days of battery pulls and programs that often don't work properly. Plus you don't neet a stylus/poined finger to navigate.

Anyways, I'll just say it, I'm sticking with my Hero! This time next year i'll be able to change phones if I want to. I came from verizon and the sprint coverage here in upstate NY is exactly the same if not better than what I had with verizon (not to mention I'm saving around $700/year). I was out near the cape in massachusetts this past weekend and it worked great!

In regards to hardware, yeah the samsung moment will be awesome, but being an early adapter always puts you in this situation...we'll never win the game! it's a circle. I guess what bothers me most is reading the posts by homers who won't give the samsung the credit it's due. When people post something like (and im being sarcastic here) "The trackball is white" as a reason the hero is better than the Moment, come on. Sense UI is valid, but the trackball?

My last phone was an omnia, I will say it was built like a rock! When i put it down when i switched to sprint, it looked as good as it did the day I got it. I will agree that samsung support doesnt seem to be there and you need to rely more on forums for support than anything else.

So, thats it from me, say what you will, make fun of me if you want. It's a forum, and the smartphone game is an endless loop. We'll never win specs wise, but we will win with Android!

Chris S

PS, I do love this forum!

Upvote 0
Ho hum, as we're all awaiting the unboxing videos to turn into product reviews I was doing a tiny bit of surfing trying to gauge both Samsung's product support and 'aftermarket' user based support of their first Android, the i7500 Galaxy.

Samsung seems to offer a PC based firmware upgrade for the Galaxy, but releases look to be sporadic with different regions getting releases at different times. End users tend to mirror content, and official roll outs seem disorganized. Maybe the multiple EU carriers are the cause for the chaos, but I'm skeptical how quickly Samsung/Sprint will be to push firmware upgrades (Ala

Upvote 0
Hey, i'm not sure if this was already mentioned but it appears that the Samsung Moment has a resistive touch screen as opposed to the Hero's capacitive screen.

"As for the display, while it may not be stuffed with widgets it is bright, crisp and as vivid as we’ve come to expect from AMOLED panels, and the resistive touchscreen has proved accurate in our short play so far." - SlashGear

I hope this was a simple typo because i'm disappointed since that might rule out any future multi-touch gesture functionality and makes it harder for the finger to slide across the non-glass surface (experience only from LG and HP devices), which also makes it less durable with it being made of plastic.

You can read the preview here

Upvote 0
If you are buying it outright without a 2 yr contract I could see not caring about your purchase. But honestly I think right now is a bad time to buy an android phone. HTC isn't doing anything special with their phone hardware.

The biggest issue I see with the current and announced phones is that they all use the 512mb ROM. That is incredibly lame. How is that competitive with the iphone?

I want to wait and hear what the specs on these new motorola phones are going to be. if they end up being the same 512mb ROM then I'll just get a HERO. If not I think its worth waiting. Don't you?
How is that not competing when its the exact same ROM size as the iPhone. As a matter of fact, there is currently no phone on the market that features more than 288 megabytes of RAM.

Upvote 0
I have the palm pre and currently i'm undecided still on theses two phones. want the moment cause of the keyboard but like the hero as well. my 2 main concerns or issues are, when i went to a sprint store to check the quality of the video for youtube an camcorder videos it was quite grainy compared to the pre. is it supposed to be that way? will the moment have a more clearer video quality? and the digital compass built in the hero, im hoping the moment will have it as well. i can live with the basic android os and don't necessarily need the h/w keyboard but prefer the moment. any help is appreciated as i am confused on a lot of things.

Upvote 0
the chip is still an ancient arm11 processor though...
Thanks, I was trying to find that out, now I am glad I decided to go with the Droid (when it comes out) since it uses Cortex A8.

How is that not competing when its the exact same ROM size as the iPhone. As a matter of fact, there is currently no phone on the market that features more than 288 megabytes of RAM.
I think what he means is that with only 512mb ROM your very limited to how many apps you can install, and the iphone has wayyy more ROM (Apple iPhone 3GS 8GB Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications) then 512, it comes in 8gb,16gb, and 32gb. I don't like the iphone as I've had one before but I don't want anyone to be misinformed.

No it does not. The kernel doesn't include SenseUI, which is still proprietary.
Exactly. Sense will have to be ported over onto a ROM for the moment, if it has the same resolution as the Hero then it won't be too hard. But most of the dev's who have cooked roms for HTC phones tend to stick with HTC phones. So a cross manufacturer ROM might take awhile.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I was trying to find that out, now I am glad I decided to go with the Droid (when it comes out) since it uses Cortex A8.

I think what he means is that with only 512mb ROM your very limited to how many apps you can install, and the iphone has wayyy more ROM (Apple iPhone 3GS 8GB Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications) then 512, it comes in 8gb,16gb, and 32gb. I don't like the iphone as I've had one before but I don't want anyone to be misinformed.

Exactly. Sense will have to be ported over onto a ROM for the moment, if it has the same resolution as the Hero then it won't be too hard. But most of the dev's who have cooked roms for HTC phones tend to stick with HTC phones. So a cross manufacturer ROM might take awhile.
A large application by Android Market standards barely exceed 2 megabytes in size, so 512 is plenty. The iPhone's internal storage is so large because its meant to replace your iPod, and there is no option for removable memory. Obviously that is less of a concern for a device that supports the use of SD cards.

Upvote 0
Oh I definitely agree, I would much rather have removable memory instead of non-removable. And with time someone will get Apps2SD working for the Moment so if your the type of person who likes to try every app then you will be able to. I prefer having a set amount of internal ROM and then being able to have unlimited storage via sd cards, I personally only put around 5-6gb of music and movies onto any phone I use so I have no reason to want some crazy amount of ROM like the iphone has. And when you can't remove it to upgrade it's pointless, you would need to upgrade to a higher capacity iphone to do so which is insane.

Upvote 0
Hey guys I had my hero for over a week. Now keep in mind I had the HTC Touch and moved to the Touch Pro and then to Hero. When I got my Touch, it was my first HTC phone. I got used to the onscreen keyboards and over all use of the phone. Then here comes the HTC Touch PRO. Loved that phone more then the Touch due to the keyboard and touch flo 3d. I still laugh when I go to weather and it's raining and you get the windshield wiper. :D

Now I have the HERO. This along with many others is the first android phone I have used. I am hooked on android. I love HTC. I agree with many others that they need to come up with an update to allow storage of apps on the sd card.

The things I like on the Hero are these:

Size and feel
I love how the onscreen keyboard is easy to use
and of course android
Not being windows mobile
I like the pinch and zoom
5.0 camera
Track ball...except mine is awesome when going from left to right, but not so much as it seems so slow or non responsive when going from right to left
visual voice mail

Things I don't like

The phone is sluggish
I have to keep restarting my phone at least 1 to 2 x a day due to the headphones will not stay recognized
Even though I mentioned I like the 5.0 camera, there is no flash and taking pics unless you have the flash, the pics not so much.

Plus if they did with the HTC TOUCH PRO and creating an app to have your phone be a flashlight (actual flashlight by using the camera flash) it's fun and it can come in handy

We all like the eye candy sense. It was great on the Touch, better on Touch Pro and the best on the Hero...Yes the Hero gives you 7 home screens. Yes you can add apps on the screens, except for the calendar as it feels up the whole screen

Now we have the Samsung moment....

Things I like

The speed
The Keyboard...keep in mind that you can add more keyboards onto either phone, but having that slider keyboard is nice.
The screen

Still debating on the optical touch pad, but I am sure like anything else anyone can get used to it
visual voice mail
I like how the bottom buttons except for the call and hang up buttons are touch buttons

I love that both phones come with a 3.5 mm headphone jack....Thank you HTC to finally getting on the ball with this.

Now with the HERO you get the phone, some manuals, a data cable and the wall charger that you plug in the data cable to

With the Moment you get the above + headphones. Now HTC the king of packaging accessories, what happened here? At least on the touch pro we got a carrying case (didn't use it), headphones, adapter, data cable and wall charger and manuals too. Oh and a screen protector. They don't cost much, do they....Hero fans were shortened in this dept. Were paying for a device, we are trying to be loyal. Not saying we should get something for free, but think if you have your name on the accessories like your head phones, it's advertisement. Just saying:D

Now yes like I mentioned the hero has 7 screens. How many screens are you really using at 1 time? Yes sense is great and yes I love new technology. But the more I am thinking, the more I think I want a moment. I hate decisions.

Upvote 0
I was looking around the same way yesterday at some of the forums to get a sense of how Samsung was handling the Galaxy and updates. One thing that bothered me was they apparently released the kernel source code (as required by the GPL that covers the linux kernel that the rest of Android runs on, and the part of the OS that handles hardware, although with proprietary drivers who's source doesn't necessarily have to be released unless they link to certain GPL libraries etc.)

The impressions were that what they releases was a total and complete mess. The discussion was looking like they were trying to decide if they took some lanky's build-tree from his personal computer, deleted the stuff they didn't want made public, and just zipped it up and put it out there to comply with the GPL, or if the Samsung developers were *actually* working in such a sloppy and unorganized/unprofessional manner. Last I saw the jury was still out on that issue.
The fear was, if they were really that disorganized, even though the Moment is running pretty much "vanilla" Android, vs. HTC having to port the Sense UI to the phone, would Samsung really have an advantage in the speed at which they could get releases out?

To be honest, this concerns me. On the other hand, it does look like they were releasing updates for problems on a fairly regular (some said too frequent) basis, and actually resolved at least some of the problems that the phone was having. I did take note that it seemed like some countries/regions were defintiely lagging 1 or 2 release versions behind some of the other countries, but I don't know if that was by a day or two, or by weeks? I would guess that regional/language differences could account for some of this, with the less well known languages taking a bit longer to translate etc. I would think that the US, being a single large "consumption based" society with a single common language (Don't give me the "we don't have an *official* language BS, we do, it's just not written in law in most areas.) would have an advantage in that department.

This has me a bit "on the fence" about switching from the Hero. Another valid point which has been brought up here, is that HTC has a lot more models out, with developers well familiar with HTC and their hardware, as compared to Sammy's single offering... Plus I'm keeping in mind that Samsung's chipset has a discrete radio chip, unlike the Hero's ARM-11 with integrated radio. This could be a blessing, or a curse when it comes to driver issues.

Anyone with a crystal ball able to tell us:
1. Which device gets root first?
2. Which device gets upgraded to 2.0 first?

Upvote 0
I have the Hero, and last night my wife wanted the Moment cause of the keyboard.

after playing with the moment for a few hours I have to say "IT SUCKS" compared to the Hero. ok so you have a slide out keyboard, but you lost almost everything else the Hero has.

I know you can download apps for everthing but come on!!! they could of done better.

Buy the Hero.

Upvote 0
I have the Hero, and last night my wife wanted the Moment cause of the keyboard.

after playing with the moment for a few hours I have to say "IT SUCKS" compared to the Hero. ok so you have a slide out keyboard, but you lost almost everything else the Hero has.

I know you can download apps for everthing but come on!!! they could of done better.

Buy the Hero.

Does it really suck that bad? What all are you loosing?

Upvote 0

Buy the Hero.

excuse me... WHAT??

do you already have teh moment??

i thought it didn't come out yet??

Upvote 0
excuse me... WHAT??

do you already have teh moment??

i thought it didn't come out yet??

Yea Sprint store got them early here. I have the HTC mogul 6800

0,1425,i=180432,00.jpg
200910100120384_samsung-moment.gif

with windows moble on it and it didn't feel as cheap as the moment does. the Hero has the great UI that the moment should of picked up. now the keyboard is better on the moment than the Mogul does. (keys are spread out and larger)

Now I really should of not said the Moment SUCKED, I was just expecting it to be better and more like the Hero. the simple things like the missing gadgets I guess can be gotten online, only one clock and the wife was upset it didn't have the ones my Hero has. missing the weather app and the 7 screens (Scenes) that you get with hero. you only get 3 to customize.

I would say play with them both in the store before you decide on one. now if your a big texter and can live with out the gizmos on the Hero than I would say grab the Moment.

My $0.02

Lastly, I am glad I didn't wait for the windows moble 6.5 to come out. the Android is so much better than the Touch and the Mogul windows moble phones I have.

Another Update. We were also told that the MOMENT will not sync with outlook out of the box like the Hero. we have downloaded a few aps for outlook and have tried with little luck. the moment will not work with any of the HTC sync software I have downloaded on my XP and Win 7 computers. so far I copied all my wifes outlook contacts and calendar over to Gmail and got them that way. will let you know more later.

The Hero I had to download the updated sync software. but for my win 7 64 bit computer I had to go here to get the Vista 64 bit drivers and get it to work
Workaround for HTC Hero Sync Problem in Windows 7 My Digital Life

Upvote 0
You do realize that Sense UI is propretary and belongs to HTC right? Thats not to say that Samsung couldnt have done something different to the UI, but they couldnt have used Sense.

As for the extra home screens, clock widgets and what not. You CAN give your moment the look of Sense UI, including the 7 home screens. I suggest you look at openHome.

Big Analog Clock Better Android Apps

I feel like I have been repeating this a lot lately.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones