Hero vs. Toilet.....

Last Updated:

1. BASS HERO

BASS HERO Member This Topic's Starter

So yes, Friday night I dropped my beloved into the great porcelain abyss....I was so mad, screaming things that would make Larry Flint blush. So I fish the pieces out and start shaking the phone profusely. There was some serious water flying from the device. After about 5 minutes of that I thought I had removed all of the water. Grabbed the battery, installed into the device, pressed the power button and prayed. SUCCESS!!!!....but only for a moment. About 15 seconds into the boot, the screen went away. So I decided to remove the battery, tilt the phone on end and just leave it for the night. I returned to this mess 24 hours later to make another run. Pressed power and prayed, half second vibration......no screen. Hmmm, pulled the battery and tried again. half second vibration.....no screen again. Determined to not shell out cash for another Hero, I tried one more time. Power, half second vibration.....nothing. Frustrated to no end, I smacked the Hero like it owed me money....what's this? The screen came back....let it boot up...everything is operational. Tested internet, BT, phone calls...messaging...it all works. Long story short, don't give up on your waterlogged mess....Now, what to do about that smell.....

SNOW

Advertisement
  2. dpeeps74

dpeeps74 Well-Known Member

hmm, well, next time i would recommend pulling off the cover and the battery, and not trying to power it on right away. water damage usually isn't going to make an impact right away. there's probably still a lot of moisture in there and it will cause oxidation to connections. normally when this happens people would recommend taking the phone apart as much as possible (obviously don't want to do more damage than already done, so this should be dependent on your level of expertise) and put the parts in a bag/bags of rice to try and pull the moisture out...as for the smell..umm? yuck? maybe grab about 10 dryer sheets, put them in a baggy with the phone for several hours/days? not really sure, but that put a horrible picture in my mind.

3. JD_from_da_80s

JD_from_da_80s Well-Known Member

Hero 1
    Toilet 0

Yep rice is the best trick speaking from experence as I was caught in a crazy rain storm last week & my Hero was soaked. I just put it in a bowl of rice, everything was fine the next day. Then again that's when my battery started acting funky. (After the 9/18 nightly) Hmm...

4. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

:p

5. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Well-Known Member

YES - RICE - Take off the Back Cover - Battery and Front cover.
    Put all in a baggy of Rice for 24-72 hours.....

Also dropped mine in the Toliet....at an Airport....ewwwwwwww
    Besides my nice pink stickers voiding my warranty.....Im A OK!

6. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

So I HAVE to ask... what was your phone doing near a toilet at and airport that would even get close to dropping it in....

7. MahaloCat

HAHAHA....ummmm I wish it was a better Story....fell out of my pocket whilst Pulling my britches up..... PLOP......

Kelmar likes this.
  8. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Haha, fair enough. At least you can laugh about it and share the story!

Thanks for the laugh!!! :) :D :)

9. MahaloCat

AND it still works....So its all around good!

10. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

Yeah, never power an electronic device on immediately after it has taken a swim. Circuits that have water on them could be bridged in odd ways that cause them to fry. :(

The method that JD_from_da_80s mentioned, using the rice to dry it out, is spot on. You should count yourself as lucky that your Sprint HTC Hero still works. ;)