Hero wont recieve texts?

Last Updated:

1. babyeater

babyeater New Member This Topic's Starter

I just got the Sprint HTC Hero a few days ago and ive been loving it- up until the point where the texting dosent work correctly. this is with the default application that comes with the phone and ive searched but i found things having to do with handcent and such, but not with the normal application. The phone has been updated to the most recent firmware. it seems to work when i do a factory reset but then it stopps working down the line. would killing the app with a task killer have anything to do with this? i havent downloaded that this time around im seeing what will work or wont work. ive talked with the sprint guy and he made me take the battery out but i dont think that did anything.

any insight or help on this matter would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. nick325i

nick325i Well-Known Member

Make sure the Hybrid Option is selected under
    Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Network Settings > Mode of Operation

If this is set to EVDO-Only, you will not receive text messages as per normal.

If this setting is proper, there are also posts stating you do no have enough free space, but i believe this was changed in the updated firmware.

Last but not least there are other posts stating you need to text some magical number to receive all or something like that. Try doing a search to find this one if you've exhausted the above resources.

Report back after you've tried these things.

3. babyeater

babyeater New Member This Topic's Starter

the phone is already apparently set to hybrid and it seems to be working fine for now but as soon as i change my backgrounds and download a few games i dont recieve anything.

at any rate, ill try the magical unlock number i think i saw that somewhere

EDIT: i just sent unlock all to 9999 and i got a reply saying all text messages unlocked.

also im texting one of the people who couldnt get through this morning and its working even before i did this so maybe killing it or a bad app or something screws it up.

ill update after i get a more through test tomorrow

4. pdxgeek

pdxgeek Member

This is a sorta known issue, though many people get this confused with the Messaging app issue.

Sprint HTC Hero Text Messaging Problem - PPCGeeks

I have done testing the last couple nights, and i would say I am only getting 50-75% of my text messages, depending on how low my memory is. Some have mentioned that below 40mb free is when this gets really bad.

5. SamXp

SamXp Well-Known Member

This is really driving me nuts. Texting was getting really slow for me, and then I started missing dozens of texts throughout the day. I did a hard reset and it was great for a while but after 700 texts over a few weeks, it is back to the same. I reboot and I start receiving again, but this is ridiculous. I've been using taskiller to try to keep at least 50-60MB of memory free and it doesn't seem to help. Some suggest uninstalling taskiller so I tried that.

Is Handcent really better? I used it before the MR update when it was causing the 100% awake issue but have since uninstalled it. I might try it again.

6. wraithevo

wraithevo Member

I spent over an hour and a half on the phone with HTC and sprint this morning, and:

1. HTC will not admit any problems with their phone and says it all has to do with the carrier settings from Sprint.

2. Sprint says that if the memory runs low that the phone automatically shuts off the messaging client and it wont send or receive texts and could affect your voicemail as well. I was acctually shocked when the tech support person from Sprint asked me if I was still in my 30 day try it period, when I said yes they recomended to me to seriously think about switching to another phone.

They ran some tests on their end and had me power off the phone, after it came back on they sent me two texts which had to be downloaded and my Hero wouldnt download either of them. After that happened they had me enter some code into the phone and it opened up some settings that they had me update and reinput some different codes, restarted the Hero, still wouldnt download the two texts. Did it again and still couldnt download the two texts. One more time and they had me enter some more codes and now it seems to be working fine and majically three voicemails i had received from a few days ago showed up.

So my opinion is to call Sprint and go through that process, I will let you know if I have any other problems but if it doesnt fix it then I am going to another phone.

7. nick325i

nick325i Well-Known Member

Wow - I would be very curious what the magic numbers and settings and stuff you did, but this is good info.

Lets hope its fixed for good.

8. wraithevo

wraithevo Member

i should have wrote them down, she had me go into y phone like i was making a call and enter ## plus 6 numbers folled by # and it started proccessing and opened up a setting menu you cant access normally.

there was another screen that required a passcode to enter and it had other settings to adjust.

they werent magic numbers LOL!

9. wraithevo

wraithevo Member

Ok I wanted to give you guys an update, so I spent another 30 minutes on the phone with Sprint last night going through the same steps I did in the morning with my phone but this time trying to get my wifes Hero to receive texts and voice mail. Once we were done it seemed everything was fine and two voice mails appeared from two days ago that had never came through.

So we get up this morning and do the normal stuff, my wife heads to work and I send her a couple of texts. No answer, so I send two more, still no answer. So i send her an email asking if she got the texts and of course she never did!

I go to a Sprint Corporate store because I want to look at some other options as far as phones go. I get in there and one of the guys who works there started talking to me and listening to the problems that I was having. He asked if he could have one of his techs look at my phone and check it out, at first I told him that I had spent alot of time with Sprint Tech on the phone but he insisted that they could look at some things that couldnt be checked out over the phone.

He comes back after about 15 minutes and hands me my phone, he tells me that the software I was running was not the current one available and that the file for the towers my phone runs off of was wrong and had to be replaced.

So here I am, more adjustments and I guess we will see if it works now. I will let you know what happens.

10. wraithevo

wraithevo Member

Just wanted to let you guys know that since my last post I have had no problems at all and even better my battery life is double if not more! Anyone who is having this issue should go to a Sprint Corporate store and let them check your Hero out.

11. childoftheko4n

childoftheko4n Member

Went to corporate ? Or just any sprint retailer that is a designated repair shop as well?

12. wraithevo

wraithevo Member

It was a Sprint store owned by Sprint, so in other words it is a corporate ran location. The majority of locations that still have the same Sprint sign on their store front are owned by individuals and are authorized locations. I didn't know this until I had problems with my Hero.

13. ftothe3

ftothe3 Well-Known Member

sounds like all they did was update the PRL

14. wraithevo

wraithevo Member

you can update the PRL your self you don't need them for that.

anyway I'm out I continued to have problems with my Hero as well as my wifes Hero too so we ditched them, bye bye Hero and rest in peace!