Hero Wont Update

Last Updated:

1. Brooks316

Brooks316 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey,

I have an orange branded HTC Hero. Softwre build number 1.76.61.3 146733.

Ive tried to download both the generic and orange update from the HTC website but my serial number is not recognised (awaiting response from HTC).

Ive downloaded both updates from elsewhere but when installing I get Error 135 Signature Error and says it is the incorrect ROM for my phone.

Anyone else got these difficulties. Im tempted to try updating by rooting if I cant find a solution.

Cheers

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Can you confirm that your serial number is HTxxxxxxxxxx?

I've a hunch that indicates a corrupt d/l. I suggest trying again, making sure that any real-time AV scanners are disabled temporarily during the d/l.

Another user posted with the same problem but a fresh download worked for him. Your current build definitely indicates an Orange device so your serial won't be accepted for the generic HTC update. It should however allow you to download the Orange_UK update released on Saturday.

Let me know how you get on.

3. Brooks316

Yup, serial no is HTW1EU****** . Wont let me download Orange or generic from HTC website. Now re-downloading from XDA developers site. Will see what happens.

Cheers

4. Slug

As I said, you won't be able to download (or install) the generic update but you should be able to get the Orange_UK okay. Weird....

Fingers crossed..... good luck!

5. mez

mez Well-Known Member

6. Brooks316

Hmmm new download didnt seem to work, still cant download direct from HTC thought. Also my error was 132 as well (complete with dodgy spelling)

7. Slug

Same error or a bad download?

Hmm. PM inbound.

8. Brooks316

Same error message (132). Shall see if HTC get in touch tommorrow.

9. mez

mez Well-Known Member

I hot in touch with HTC when I got the problem but it downloaded right away as soon as I got on a proper connection. Pm me I'll send you the version I got

10. Slug

Not using Vista by any chance are you? Another user reported seeing this error repeatedly but successfully installed the update under Win XP.

11. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

Well I use Vista and had no problems, strange that this happens for some people.

12. Slug

Yup, which is why we've got to explore all possibilities. :confused:

13. Brooks316

I got it!!!! It was a corrupt download, managed to get the official one from HTC. Do not ask about the dodgy serial number, quite embarressed about that.

Cheers for your help.

14. Slug

So.......... what happened with the dodgy serial number then Andrew? :D

15. Brooks316

I was reading number in bottom left of the phone, not the one underneath the battery! That'll learn me!:eek:

16. RobertGresdal

RobertGresdal New Member

I'm going to repeat a post I made in another thread, since this is more relevant. I believe this is the solution to the 132 error, it worked for me (without downloading the RUU again).

17. Slug

You've also reminded us to double-check such things carefully. I know I did something very similar with another electronic gizmo and ended up with a red face! ;)

18. stryker101

stryker101 Member

hi guys, i have tried to update my phone, but HTC serial number checker claims that i do not need the update.

"Sorry, this software download is not suitable for your device."

my hero:
    firmware 1.5
    build number: 1.76.405.6 146733
    software 1.0.0.a6288

don't really know what these numbers mean really, but i bought this phone early last week, and have been somewhat disappointed with wifi that randomly turns off not having moved an inch from where it was working perfectly, or i can sit right next to my modem and it will take perhaps 10 mins to give me a wifi connection.
    and orange signal/phone reception is teribbly erratic. i can get signal in all parts of my house, but quite often it simply disappears to zero bars, without moving the phone an inch from where i was just using it.

really like it despite these niggles, dont want to get rid!!

sorry i ramble, could anyone give me a pointer with the upgrade problem?

19. stryker101

stryker101 Member

oops, think i answered my own question. i was trying download the orange update, however my phone is on orange but unlocked:rolleyes:. s/n check now works:)

20. BaronScotty

BaronScotty New Member

Hi Guys,

Now my problem is i keep getting error code 171....make sure the usb cable is connected. i am using the cable that came with the phone, i have downloaded the correct rom update straight of the htc website and i have the white htc hero which isnt locked to any network that i know of.

Basically, when i start the update the it looks like its working, i have a little progress bar on my phone in the top right hand corner then all of a sudden my phone switches off and straight back on again. really annoying but does anyone have any hints/tips/suggestions?

Thanks,

Scotty

21. RobertGresdal

RobertGresdal New Member

If you had it connected to the computer via a USB hub, try connecting it directly to the computer instead.

22. BaronScotty

BaronScotty New Member

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply, the cable is connected straight into the PC. Really pulling my hair out to as why it isnt working!!

23. brandontkeenan

brandontkeenan New Member

I'm getting this same error when trying to install the U.K. Update for the unlocked Hero. I have an unlocked one purchased in the U.S., any ideas on how to solve this because i want the speediness the new update brings.