Hero's Bad Rap

Last Updated:

1. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

As we just passed the 30 day mark of the Hero release and a maintenance release from Sprint, I am really surprised to see so many people are having issues. Lag this, awake time that, trackball this, battery that, memory leak this, sluggish, dust in screen, dull screen, bright screen, chipped chrome, leaky sms app...which I and many others have yet to experience any of these issues. I ordered my Hero online and after reading all of the complaints about it, I was ready to return the phone before I even opened the box. To my surprise, my Hero has had almost no issues, and the issues it has have are attributed to apps I have downloaded from the Market and since deleted to cure the problem. This phone has been solid and stable for me.

Makes me wonder why so many people are having performance problems with the Hero. Some people are saying they can

Advertisement
  2. gnarlyDUCK

gnarlyDUCK Well-Known Member

I would like to agree with your post, but i think majority of the negative posts are coming from.. power users and above.

As for me, im not sure what kind of "user" i am, but this is my first smart phone, so of course i am definitely amazed, yet nothing to compare it to other than knowledge of computers which seem to help me understand "lag" and "mem" problems.

I do however have slight dust, and i would assume everyone at some point will get this problem with no way around it.

I do experience lag, but i do seem to figure away to get rid of it (Task Panel - close out unnecessary apps).

^ And that leads to one of the only real complaints i have:
    I notice, usually within a 24hr period of the Hero being on, I start to feel the "lag" and i open Task Panel only to find a handful of apps running that I never even started. Off the top of my head Loopt is one of them. The only thing I can think of that this happens with certain apps (the turning on without you opening) is turning on/off GPS/Bluetooth. I noticed Loopt open a few times within the past 48hrs, usually after using my Sprint Nav.
    So, can anyone confirm that is why some apps are running without every opening them? (the triggering of some kind of setting).

The only other complaint (and this might be to all/most smartphones), why on most apps is there no "exit" option. I read somewhere that you have to press the "back" button til you hit your home scene for it to exit out of the app. (which seems still not to work).

3. illini

illini Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you, this pone does get a bad rap. Its a great phone im very happy with it.

4. pdragon

pdragon Well-Known Member

The majority of posts you read about on any tech forum are going to problems & complaints and people looking for answers. People rarely take the time to just post "My phone works!". They just blissfully go on with their day. :) The exception to this is when someone finds a little documented feature they want to share.

It's better to read a comprehensive review of a new device, not just the forums. Looking at both, you get an idea for all the features that the device has, good and bad. The forums will just give you an idea of some issues you may come across or tips for how to use it better.

5. SamXp

SamXp Well-Known Member

I believe it has much to do with expectations. I'm accustomed to a 2 year old iPhone and have to say I expected more from the latest and greatest HTC has to offer. My primary issue is lag. With 100+ apps on the iPhone, it had just begun to lag and was still tolerable.
    Sprint > AT&T, though.

6. LTZguy

LTZguy Well-Known Member

MY PHONE WORKS! i have had a couple issues i'll admit...but i'm figuring them out as i go. Check this out...i'm at 75% battery at 5:18pm and i took the phone off charge at 5am this morning!

7. acp

acp Well-Known Member

Other than the dust this is my favorite phone, i went from an iphone to a moment to this. There is definitely occassional lag, but all of my phones prior to this also had lag, it depends how you use it imo

8. pdragon

pdragon Well-Known Member

9. acp

acp Well-Known Member

Im just going to throw this out there...is it possible the lag is due to the hero being the smartest smart phone, which causes it to think a lot ;)