Hey Everyone!

Last Updated:

1. Nick021

Nick021 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone, my name is Nick and I just wanted to say Hello and had a few questions! Few days go my wonderful wife (who is also a member here Ladybug_LaBate) bought me a droid for an early christmas gift for a KILLER price! It's also a replacement for my current phone, a droid eris. Now I have experience rooting and loading roms on the eris. But I haven't a clue what to do with this beast of a phone. So my question is, whats the easiest or best way to root, and what are some of the more popular ROMS, and how to flash them on the droid? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Also, I don't have the phone yet. But it should be here either tomorrow or saturday.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

just wanted to double check (before I sent you packing to a different forum): This is the original Motorola DROID that came out in November of 2009, right?

3. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

start here ---> http://androidforums.com/droid-all-...de-updated-october-11th-2010-11-05pm-est.html

rooting is easier and loading rom is the same with Rom Manager as on the Eris. as far as good roms... Right now the hot and good ones are Cyanogen 6, Ultimate Droid 2.3, Symply Stunning 4.9, Lyquid Frozen Yogurt, Charity, ...... and several more worth mentioning, just can't remember them all. Lots more available for the Moto Droid than for most any other device out there. good luck and happy romming.. :)

4. Nick021

Nick021 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

the 2009 one and thank you trav! :) I know its an older model but honestly i dont see much a difference between this one and the droid 2, paying that much.

5. linuxmel

linuxmel Well-Known Member

I think the Droid1 is the best. Very solid. I would not upgrade to any other model. The only thing I hate about it, is the phone screen going blank when you are trying to enter numbers, like voice mail etc... there are a lot of 3rd party apps that claim to keep the screen alive, but none work, not even a little. Good luck with your new toy ;)

6. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? I have never experienced screen blanking while I am actively using the phone. As long as I am typing, scrolling, moving through screens, etc., the screen does not blank. You must have some problem with your phone. Are you rooted?

7. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

By the way, if you're talking about entering numbers for your password in Voicemail, there's a really easy way to stop having to do that. If you're using Verizon voicemail, go into Settings>Call settings>Voicemail service and where it says Voicemail number, after *86, enter several commas and your voicemail PIN (for example, *86,,,,1234) and it will dial it for you.

If it's another voicemail that you're dialing from contacts, put the commas and your voicemail pin after the voicemail number you dial in the phone number for your contacts (for example, I have an entry for Home Voicemail, which I've established as a dialing shortcut and I put in the number I dial for my home voicemail in the phone number field, followed by the commas and PIN: (555) 555-5555,,,,1234).

8. linuxmel

Yes it is rooted, and I am running UD 2.1. If I dial for voice mail as an example, the screen goes blank while the call is being made, and you have to open up the keyboard for it to come back.(to put in your PW) There is nothing wrong with the phone, because there are a lot of apps in the market that try to fix it. If I am in a call and want to hang up, the screen comes back when I take it away from my ear.

9. linuxmel

great info, thanks!