Hey Guys, Little help with 2.1 root

Last Updated:

1. tigris67

tigris67 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys,

About 3 months ago I used the Universal "Eris Root for Dummies" on my eris running the official 2.1 update. I rooted it successfully, made a nandroid backup of it, and then proceeded to boot up the kaosFroyo Rom, which I've been using nicely for the past 3 months.

I noticed the phone was a bit laggy recently, so I decided I wanted to try out my original nandroid backup of 2.1 to see if it would run any faster now that i can overclock it using my root access as opposed to using 2.2 on the kaos rom. (I hate lag, and i figured since the Froyo update isn't native to the eris, I would go back to its roots..no pun intended ^_^)

I just rebooted my old nandroid from august, everything seems fine and all. But I downloaded and ran Setcpu to try it out and its telling me I do not have permission for root access.

My question is now...do I need an App to grant it permission? Did my phone go back to being unrooted? (Thats not even possible I thought).
    EDIT: is there anywhere on my phone I can check that its rooted still?, because when i start up the phone and hold the volume up button, it still gives me the option for nandroid backups and stuff, so I'm guessing it still is.

One other thing I wanted to ask is...There are tons of Custom roms out there now running froyo and what not, are there any good custom roms out there still supported and based of the 2.1 update?

thanks for hearing me out guys!
    Appreciate it!

Advertisement
  2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

tigris67, welcome "back"! :)

Since it sounds like you (properly) did your Nandroid backup immediately after using erisuser's root_part2 script, you basically made a backup of your stock 2.1 setup at the time and you hadn't yet gotten root access because you didn't actually install the su program and/or the SuperUser app (you typically get these included in your custom rooted ROMs like Kaos Froyo--so that's where you got it before).

So, you really don't have FULL root access in the truest sense. You've got a custom recovery partition installed (Amon_RA's), but no su program or SuperUser app. If you want root access from on your stock setup, you'll have to flash a file called engtools3.zip. Also, you can't overclock (or use setCPU) on the stock 2.1 kernel. You'll need to install/flash Zanfur's overclocking kernel in order to do this. Check out this fairly recent thread for information on how to do both: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/215725-rooted-running-kaosfroyo-but-id-go-back.html

You can typically check to see if you really are rooted by downloading the Android Terminal Emulator (free in the Market) and typing "su": if you see the "#" prompt, then you are rooted; if you (still) see the "$" prompt, then you are not (yet) rooted.

Another way is to use a program like drocap2 (also, free in the Market) and it will tell you if you are rooted.

Lastly, your best 2.1 ROM that everyone thinks very highly of is zach.xtr's xtrSense ROM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=726467

Hope this helps. Cheers!

tigris67 likes this.
  3. tigris67

tigris67 Active Member This Topic's Starter

What a great explanation! You answered all my questions and more. Thank you Scary, I like my current setup right now, so I might try flashing and doing the things you said, but I also might try the other custom rom! will let you know how it goes.

+1 thanks