• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hey, what's a winmo user doing in here?

christolo

Lurker
Oct 27, 2009
Hello all, looking forward to being a part of this community. I am a Windows guy, always have been, but am fed up with Windows Mobile. The only thing that makes me nervous about leaving WinMo is synchronizing contacts. Is this an unfound fear? I am a C# developer, who wants to learn Java and give back to the Android project. Any tips for getting started?

Thanks.
Stolo

Welcome to the forums! I am also converting from WinMo. Android does handle contacts, so I don't expect that to be a problem.

Google has a developer site you'll want to spend some time at and get the Android SDK.
Android Developers

We have a developer section here. Developer 101 - Android Forums
I used the developer 101 guide to install Eclipse, Java, and the Android SDK.

That should get you up and running and writing your first, "Hello, world" app. :)

Upvote 0
I just saw that they released 2.0 on the developer site (Thanks Carl C!). It mentions an upgrade to contacts specifically:

Contacts and accounts
Android 2.0 Platform Highlights | Android Developers
Multiple accounts can be added to a device for email and contact synchronization, including Exchange accounts. (Handset manufacturers can choose whether to include Exchange support in their devices.)
Developers can create sync adapters that provide synchronization with additional data sources.
Quick Contact for Android provides instant access to a contact's information and communication modes. For example, a user can tap a contact photo and select to call, SMS, or email the person. Other applications such as Email, Messaging, and Calendar can also reveal the Quick Contact widget when you touch a contact photo or status icon.

Upvote 0
Hello all, looking forward to being a part of this community. I am a Windows guy, always have been, but am fed up with Windows Mobile. The only thing that makes me nervous about leaving WinMo is synchronizing contacts. Is this an unfound fear? I am a C# developer, who wants to learn Java and give back to the Android project. Any tips for getting started?

Thanks.
Stolo

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones