• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi AIM status bar behavior?

e30user

Lurker
Dec 8, 2009
I am using a Sprint Hero.

I thought Meebo made sense with how it was displayed in the status bar. If I'm signed in, I will see a meebo icon in the status bar. If I signed out and exited the app, the meebo icon in the status bar would be gone.

I'm now trying out Hi AIM. There is an option to show signed on/off status in the status bar. When this option is enabled, I always see an icon in the status bar. Unfortunately, both statuses show the same icon. I have to open the status bar and view the details. For me, this makes having an icon in the status bar not as useful. It's not too big of a deal though, since I do like this app for the way it handles other things.

My questions are about enabling the status in the status bar. As stated, if I am signed off, the icon still shows up. Does this mean that the app is wasting resources? Or, is it just using a minimal amount not worth caring about? As I understand it, all IM apps are use up a good amount of battery. Is that only when they're signed on? I was expecting that an AIM app wouldn't be running if I'm not signed in and don't have the app open, which is why Hi AIM's remaining status icon confuses me.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones