• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi all! New user and need some help!

Michelle666

Jun 15, 2010
Hi all, I've decided to purchase my first non nokia phone, which will also be my first smart phone in the next couple of weeks! and I have to say...I'm totally confused. This phone looks like it can do everything bar the washing up!

I just want to know, where do you get applications from? How easy is this phone to do things with?

I've seen the thread "show us your homepages" and I haven't got a clue how any of this works .... gosh its all very scary!!!

If there are any manuals I could read, please point me in the right direction

Chelle x

The apps come from market via the phone.

After Nokia, you'll be glad you moved as I did after 13 years of Nokia only!

I so hope your right. Ive tried Samsung, and Sony a couple of times but sold them after a couple of weeks...obviously they wern't smartphones. Ive read soooo much about Desire, and I love everything about it!!!

Is market via the phone the same as Android market online?

Upvote 0
Hi Michelle.

Welcome to the world of Android and the Desire :) YOu'll love the phone and what you can do with it.

The Market is very easy to access via the phone and a good choice of Free and Paid for Apps as well as some fun games.

As you've seen from the Homepages thread, you can customise your phone so it looks how YOU want and not how the manufacturer wants it to look. Millions of pictures to use as backgrounds (ie ANY jpg etc), loads of icons out there, thousands of widgets (the little switches and gauges etc you see on screen shots) and so much more.

If you want a bit of an initial intro then see Lekky's guide here: http://nimbu.amorvi.com/2010/04/htc-desire-new-user-guide/

The people here are all pretty friendly and lots of knowledgeable people about to help you if you need it.

Just sit back, relax and enjoy probably the best phone out at the moment :)

Upvote 0
It can seem daunting at first. It's my first smartphone too and I have learnt so much in the past three months (much of it thanks to this forum).

You don't need to think about customising your homescreen and icons straight away. It comes with sense built in which is easy to find your way around and most of what you need to start off with is preinstalled.

I've only just recently got to the stage of playing around with folders and icons (and it's fun :D).

Don't worry about it and just take one small bit at a time ;) Half the fun of owning one of the best phones in the world is constantly discovering new things you can do with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones