Hi from a new android user :)

1. theSuda

theSuda Member

Hi, I am from India and I recently purchased LG Optimus One (P500). Now I need few suggestions(answers if you may ;) ):
    1. What are advantages of 'Root'ing the phone? and how risky is it? (And does it void any warranty given by manufacturer? Should I do it or should I wait for some days and try using the default Android?

2. How do I monitor Internet usage by applications? Is there any app for it? Can I block access to internet for specific applications?

3. My phone seems to be responding slow since two days, how do I find out the reason behind it?

I will start searching forums right away for above answers but do drop a line here anyway :)

Cheers,
    theSuda

Advertisement
    :
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

Rooting the phone is typically fairly straightforward. Is there a risk? Absolutely but if you take your time and follow the process that others defined it's really not all that difficult. From a warranty standpoint, yes rooting can potentially invalidate your warranty. Most people typically just return their phone to stock before returning it to the wireless carrier. What the carrier cannot see won't necessarily hurt you. For more info on rooting, check out the LG Optimus One "All Things Root" forum...

Optimus One - All Things Root - Android Forums
    theSuda likes this.
  3. theSuda

theSuda Member

Thanks Martimus :)

You know, we don't have to buy phones from carriers in India. We buy the phone and simcard separately (may be you know this already).

I had a Sony Ericsson K750i before and I have done hell lot of stuff on that. And I am looking forward to mess up my new phone :)

Thanks for the link. Looks like I will give rooting a try.

Any help on other questions?
  4. Well rooting gets rid of your warranty. Also the more applications you have and stuff running the slower the phone is. Hope this helped.
    theSuda likes this.