Hi From Developer / Engineer

Last Updated:

1. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 5, 2010

I'm a cellular RF engineer and hobby programmer (see my Cellumap project in my signature). I've had alot of different phones in the past, most recently Symbian and BlackBerry. I liked BB's OS, but hated the BIS/BES requirements and the self-imposed restrictions of them. I liked the "idea" of Symbian, ex. an open and free OS, but they really shot themselves in the foot over and over again. I made my first app on Symbian, and was impressed with all the help in developing available, but when time came to sign the app and get it to market, I hit one wall after another until I finally gave up :)mad:) BlackBerry was more-or-less easy to develop for, but to get your app in the official BlackBerry market you have to pay a $200 developer fee, and considering I made a free app to give away, I was having trouble understanding why I had to pay $200 for that privilege :confused:

With Android, the whole process of developing was the easiest (compared to Symbian and BB). And getting the app signed and to market was the cheapest and easiest of the bunch as well. At the moment I have only one app in the Android Market, but as I mess around more, I'll get more up in there. The downside of the "free and open" Android Market is that I see alof of spam/junk in there as well, but it seems the more successful apps rise to the top and the junk gets pushed to the bottom, as with any "free market".

Anyway, glad to be part of the Android movement, and please check out my websites if you have a chance:

Crowd-sourced cellular coverage maps:
    Cellumap Cellular Coverage Maps

Learn about cellular and digital communications:

2. Leftyguy

Leftyguy Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010