Hi! Help me buy a phone!

Last Updated:

1. bageled123

bageled123 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi! I've always wanted a smartphone and I'm getting tired of my LG env. Verizon says my phone is up for an upgrade but apparently I'm not getting any money for making a new contract.

So I'd like to buy a smartphone on black friday! I like the features of the Droid, but it's on the expensive side. I'd like to spend under $100 total. The only features I'm really looking for are wifi and tethering. I know this really narrows it down, but what options can I look at?

I know the next refresh of phones is coming soon, but I wouldn't mind buying an older model at a discount. Toss me some options!

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

In that price range it looks like there are only about 4 or 5 possibilities on the Verizon web site. Of the phones listed, two look to be new (the LG Vortex and the Motorola Citrus), two are existing phones (the LG Ally and the Motorola Devour), and it looks like refurbed Droid Ones are still available (at least on their web site).

Personally I'd stay away from the Devour only because it's somewhat underpowered to deal with MotoBlur. The refurb Droid is definitately a decent choice for an Android phone. And between the Vortex and the Citrus I'd likely lean towards the Citrus only because LG doesn't have a lot of experience yet making Android phones. The Citrus has more memory than the Vortex but the Vortex has the stock mobile hotspot app.

To get tethering on either the Citrus or the older Droid you may need to root the phone and install a tether app.

3. JTL2

JTL2 Member

From the Sprint side (come join us for Any Mobile Any Time, it's funner over here ;)), phones to consider are the HTC Hero at $150.00 or the Samsung Intercept at $100.00. Now, I have used both phones, albeit shortly, as my mom purchased the HTC Hero, only to replace it for the Intercept because she couldn't stand the on-screen keyboard.

We were able to tether using a program called PDAnet, also available on the Android market. Technically, Sprint doesn't allow tethering, but I won't tell if you don't.

Both phones are WiFi accessible. However, PDAnet does not allow tethering via WiFi (i.e., turning your device into a mobile hotspot). Once you narrow down your choices of phones, I'd suggest visiting that phone's forums. I'm sure if you root the phone, you can direct the WiFi to send out signals; but by default, it only accepts incoming signals.

From my experience using the phones, I prefer the HTC Android experience, to Samsung's. Mostly, it has to do with graphical things like layout and the such. Each manufactorer does tend to "customize" their Android devices. It was the main reason why I am going for the Evo over the Epic.

4. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Android Forums!! :)