Hi there, just got a Droid.

Last Updated:

1. lmarkfinch

lmarkfinch Member This Topic's Starter

My Verizon contract expired on January 12, so on January 16 (which was a payday, conveniently) I got a Droid. My previous phone was an LG enV2 which I liked really well, but it was just a phone and not a mobile handheld computer.

Computerwise, I've been a Mac guy since 1986 but am familiar with Windows boxes too. Bought a little Dell netbook loaded with Ubuntu earlier this month so I could learn more about that operating system too.

Down the road, I can see smartphones taking the place of netbooks and eventually desktops -- all it would take (aside from more computing power) is the ability to dock the phone with a larger keyboard, pointing device and screen. And what the heck, give it the capability to run a really large flat-panel display.

Every now and then I remember that when I was a kid all we had was a black and white TV with four channels and a rotary-dial phone on a party line, and I really look forward to see what's coming next!

Advertisement
  2. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Welcome to DROIDNation! You picked up a great phone. Right in time too because an OTA Maintenance update is scheduled in a couple of days with OS2.1 coming at the end of the month. VZW.Motorola and Google have been working out the quirks to 2.1 so it'll be smooth and optimized for our DROIDs. Take a search around here as there's a wealth of information and knowledge available!

3. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Android Forums!! :)

4. Yappy

Yappy New Member

Hello there, I just got a droid too - HTC Hero. The accelerometer is almost unbearably slow and I cannot, for the life of me, get my live.co.uk mail account to work but other than that I'm loving it :)

I'd be a bit worried, lmarkfinch, if my little phone does replace my laptop/desktop - those are much less easy to loose than my phone lol!!!

Anyway, I was actually interested in this OS2.1 that I keep reading about and that sooper_droid12 mentions in this thread. Is it actually going ahead? What would be involved with upgrading, do you think?

Cheers, yappy.

5. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

welcome to the board, glad to have ya aboard!

6. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

7. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Welcome! :D