Hi there

Last Updated:

1. SimonM123

SimonM123 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Howdy

Just got my first Android device, an HTC Desire (UK on O2, shipped running Froyo!).

I lurked a bit on this forum when choosing an Android phone and found it very useful, so I'm hoping to be a regular visitor/contributor here.

Initial impressions of 'droid and the Desire:

- Android is great, I love the way it handles multitasking (read about on this forum), and the amount of control you have over the phone.
    - Android Market is super, though distressed to find a spam app already (one of the versions of Astro file browser was just a poorly-rendered JPEG of the program with a big advert banner.
    - I also got the apparently not-uncommon problem with Google Listen saying I need a Google account that syncs with Google Reader, even though I just created one the first time I logged into Android market! Very odd. But PodCat along with Mortplayer and widgets is doing me fine.
    - Spotify app bugged a bit on first use, the playlist content went blank and so did the playlist list itself. Had to restart the phone to fix it.
    - O2 graphics on startup seem to go on forever, what a waste of time. May debrand in a few months if I'm feeling brave.

- The Desire is sleek and sexy (I don't like metal phones), and the processor speed is mind-blowing - it haven't had delay or lag for anything at all, it's insane.
    - The phone does seem to get a little hot when listening to Spotify.
    - The sound quality when listening through headphones is INCREDIBLE. The best I've ever heard on a mobile device. I use Sennheiser HD228 headphones running through a Fiio E5 headphone amplifier. It's the best sound combo I've ever had, just fantastic quality, with no EQ setup!
    - The loudspeaker on this phone is the worst I've ever encountered, not just on any phone, but on any mobile device. I used to love listening to podcasts around the house using my old Nokia 5800 XM's excellent stereo speakers, but these are pathetic. I miss that. And for handsfree calling the speaker is useless, makes your call sound like it's being made over CB radio!!

There it is, some initial impressions. I may post some of the problems above in separate threads at some point.

Anyway, glad to be aboard.

Cheers

Simon

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums! Glad you signed up! Feel free to join the conversations! :D

This is one of the best first posts I've ever seen. Imo, because of its detail it would be better off as an intro in your phone's forum, where people can see how serious you are about it. So, I'll move it there for you. :)

Steven

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

In regards to the o2 splash screens, you'll never get that time back. They just replace the HTC splash screens. Once removed, you'll get those instead and they last just as long.