• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hidden apps and Android 4.4.2 KitKat

Sensai

Lurker
Aug 3, 2011
Belgium
hello all

my problem is the following:

before I upgraded to Android 4.4.2 KitKat (Samsung Galaxy S4) I chose to hide a dozen of apps I never use from the app drawer. Many of those were default applications so they couldn't be deleted, that's why I hide them. But when I made the upgrade to Android 4.4.2, I discovered that they changed the way apps are hidden from the app drawer.

The problem is that I don't see the old apps that were hidden anywhere, yet they are still installed. When I open up the app drawer and see if they are in the hidden apps list that list is empty (because I did not yet hide any apps after I upgraded) but the old hidden apps are nowhere to find either?

How do I unhide the apps that were hidden before I upgraded my Android to 4.4.2 KitKat?

thanks in advance

I'm not familiar with TouchWiz, but do they show up if you go to Settings > Apps > Disabled?

I have a feeling TouchWiz places them in that container for you, if you disable them within the App Drawer but it's just a front for the ability to disable from the system settings area and it "forgot" those when the upgrade happened.

no such thing as "Disabled" in the application settings menu

On those pics you can see my app drawer (a part of it, I just made screenshots to see which apps are missing. don't even remember all of the apps that actually are missing)

Upvote 0
Disabled apps go to the bottom/end of the list in settings>apps.
Not sure if that helps your problem though :thumbup:
it doesn't solve my problem but I appreciate the help. the problem is I can't unhide the apps because they aren't in the list of hidden apps for some reason.

Google changed the way apps are hidden from the app drawer in 4.4.2 KitKat, but I guess they forgot that you can't unhide the apps that were hidden before lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones