Hidden apps and Android 4.4.2 KitKat

1. Sensai

Sensai Member

hello all

my problem is the following:

before I upgraded to Android 4.4.2 KitKat (Samsung Galaxy S4) I chose to hide a dozen of apps I never use from the app drawer. Many of those were default applications so they couldn't be deleted, that's why I hide them. But when I made the upgrade to Android 4.4.2, I discovered that they changed the way apps are hidden from the app drawer.

The problem is that I don't see the old apps that were hidden anywhere, yet they are still installed. When I open up the app drawer and see if they are in the hidden apps list that list is empty (because I did not yet hide any apps after I upgraded) but the old hidden apps are nowhere to find either?

How do I unhide the apps that were hidden before I upgraded my Android to 4.4.2 KitKat?

thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with TouchWiz, but do they show up if you go to Settings > Apps > Disabled?

I have a feeling TouchWiz places them in that container for you, if you disable them within the App Drawer but it's just a front for the ability to disable from the system settings area and it "forgot" those when the upgrade happened.
  3. Sensai

Sensai Member

no such thing as "Disabled" in the application settings menu

On those pics you can see my app drawer (a part of it, I just made screenshots to see which apps are missing. don't even remember all of the apps that actually are missing)
  4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Disabled apps go to the bottom/end of the list in settings>apps.
    Not sure if that helps your problem though :thumbup:
  5. AndroidProf

AndroidProf Well-Known Member

I think there's a likely possibility that you lost the apps. Did you backup your data? If so, then you can try recovering the apps from Google play by going to My apps.
  6. Sensai

Sensai Member

it doesn't solve my problem but I appreciate the help. the problem is I can't unhide the apps because they aren't in the list of hidden apps for some reason.

Google changed the way apps are hidden from the app drawer in 4.4.2 KitKat, but I guess they forgot that you can't unhide the apps that were hidden before lol
  7. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Lol yeah. Have you tried installing a new Launcher app just as an experiment to see if it can see the hidden apps?

or tried clearing the data of your launcher in settings>apps>all>touchwiz launcher?