Hidden Feature - Weather on Dock Console

Last Updated:

1. jonathansullivan

jonathansullivan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Did you know???

If you select MANUAL Location (and enter your ZIP Code), it unlocks two additional features that the automatic location folks don't have?

1. RADAR Button
    2. Hour by Hour Forcast

To access, set your weather setup to manual, set it in the dock, and touch the weather wigit once it appears. Change it to automatic and repeat....buttons gone.

Would be nice if it were available for both!

QUESTION:

We all have noticed the intermitant weather wigit over the past few weeks, but has anyone used (2) docks in two different locations (or dockrunner) and had it successfully change your city? I haven't had any success - BUT I am not sure if that is a bug or design...anyone?

Advertisement
  2. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

I don't have a dock yet, but if I activate it with a magnet it does show my changed position from home to work. When it works....

3. mtraina7

mtraina7 Active Member

great find! I think I'm going to keep this manual from now on unless they update this feature for automatic.

I don't know why i would keep it on auto anyway because it doesn't refresh cities on its own. I work in Brooklyn and live in NJ and going to and from I always have to refresh on my own. So i might as well keep it on manually and get the added radar and hourly forecast feature.

4. fortworthbret

fortworthbret Well-Known Member

Mine refreshed automagically, but I don't usually carry my dock with me.

maybe I should set mine to manual.

5. malklavious

malklavious Well-Known Member

Now if only the radar could be shown on the doc screen and not in a web browser, with animated updates. Now that would be weather info!

6. jonathansullivan

OK...weathers back down again...YEAH!

So one person says the city automatically changes based on location when docking....and three of us haven't had success with that. Anyone else with experience?

7. jfourman

jfourman Member

I think that the reason you are getting more data is that server-side weather service keeps more data for the zip code you are using. I live in a Chicago suburb. When I drive into Chicago, I get the full forecast. When I go to the burbs, I only get current temp and the mini forecast since the weather service doesn't provide forecast data specific to my burb.

8. binglejellsx2

binglejellsx2 Well-Known Member

I haven't encountered anything automagically changing locations. I'm not sure how often it looks for the geo-location though.

9. jonathansullivan

Based on what I've seen, it only seems to look when you go into Weather setup...