• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Hidden Folder"?

PezzyDude

Lurker
Jun 8, 2014
Hi all.

With the Fire HD, I downloaded an HD movie to it; it's not in Amazon's "cloud", I mean it is actually on the device. I used to have about 12GB of free space; now it's down to about 4GB of free space. That HD movie file is probably that 8GB of space.

Anyway......does anyone know where HD movie files are downloaded to? If I plug my Kindle device into my desktop computer via a USB cable, there are some folders I can browse through (and even "side load" some items into). A couple of those folders are named "Movies" and "Videos". The HD movie I downloaded is not in either of them.

I want to make an archival copy of this HD movie file to keep on a hard drive as a backup. Amazon Kindle support won't help me as to the whereabouts of this file; I believe it has something to do with DRM protection.

In the meanwhile, I have since rooted my device; I also have SuperUser capability.

And just in-case someone was going to suggest it, I have the App called "ES File Explorer"; also an App called "DiskUsage".

I can almost kinda "see" the file on the device. What I mean is: I can "see" that there is 8GB of space being used up. But when I go browsing and exploring using ES File Explorer, I cannot find this movie file!!

I came close.

When browsing using ES File Explorer, I browsed through first by tapping on the "/" symbol at the top; then I tapped on a folder called "data", and then another folder called "data". Inside of there is a folder called "com.amazon.avod". Then in here tapped on files; AmazonInstantVideo; plugins; something named "B0091UOS4C"; and then in here was a folder called "trickplay".

Inside of this "trickplay" folder is about 700 .jpg files. These picture files are all still-frame shots from the movie I downloaded!! But where is the movie itself??

Are the HD movie files that are downloaded from Amazon in .mp4 format? If not, does anyone know what type of video format they are in?

Can anyone help me out here? I know Amazon is not going to approve given that I have rooted my device, but, I have found their tech support lacking anyway; whenever I have contacted them, it seems like I am better informed than the tech reps I am conversing with. Frustrating.

Anyone know how to find and gain access to HD movie files on a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch??

Thanks for any info or tips.
Pez

Hi Nathan.

You'd be willing to help me research this? Thanks!! I'll take all the help I can get.

Like I mentioned in my original post, I kind of know where the file is. When using the App called "DiskUsage", I can see there is 8GB of space used up in a folder called "data". Inside of here is another folder called "data", and then one called "com.amazon.avod".

Inside of here I tried something: Using the App called ES File Explorer, you can press on a folder/ file, and then from a pop-up menu choose choices like "Copy" or "Move". I don't want to Copy it because, well, that would try to use up 8 more GB's of space. Instead I tried to Move it, move it to another folder, one that would be "visible" in the Windows operating environment so I could see it when I attach the Fire device via a USB cable.

But when trying to Move it, I got an error message from ES File Explorer telling me there was not enough space. What?!?! I wasn't copying it, just moving it.

I realize that Amazon is keeping this HD movie file in a hidden folder because they really don't want you accessing it. But, I paid for it (bought/ purchased, not "rented"), and I feel as though I should be able to make an archival copy of it on my computer's hard drive.

How do you think you could help me, Nathan? And what did you mean by,"...That could very well prevent piracy"?

Thanks for any tips, help, or info.
Pez

Upvote 0
Hi jmpiv4; thanks for your reply.

I hadn't heard of the acronym "adb", so I did a search on it.

Does adb stand for "Android Debug Bridge"? I take it you have experience with it?

Can you direct me to a reliable download link for it? Maybe give me some pointers on how to go about using this adb properly so as to be able to "pull" this file out as you put it?

Like I mentioned in this message thread, by using some apps known as "DiskUsage" and "ES File Explorer", I can kind of "see" where this large (approx 8GB) HD video file is located. But when I browse to it using ES File Explorer, I don't see anything obvious as far as a video file goes (like an .mp4 file, or something similar).

But like I've mentioned in this thread, I've narrowed down the folder this 8GB file is located in, so if I could indeed "pull" it out somehow, that'd be great. I'd like to do that while I have my Kindle device connected to my computer via a USB cable. I could then make an archival copy of it onto my hard drive.

So....any info or help/ tips you have on this adb would be great!!

Thanks,
Pez

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones