Hidden power saving menu

1. Needforspeed

Needforspeed Well-Known Member

you can get there in 3 easy steps

1.Go to settings

2.Press the search button

3.the list shows up if you put in any letter and then find "power saver"

you can turn it on or off and change when the power saver turns on by percentage.Hope this helps anyone that was looking for this

Advertisement
    Joanie, johnnaryry, badboy4u and 6 others like this.
  2. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member

Wow, where did all of these come from? I had never seen most of these options. Thanks!
  3. Needforspeed

Just found it exploring the phone I was bored
  4. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member

Mine does nothing when i press search in the settings menu?
  5. aceofspades626

aceofspades626 Well-Known Member

Same here. No joy on the search button in the settings menu.
  6. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member

Are either of you rooted? I would be a little surprised if that mattered, but I am rooted.

But you hit menu ---> settings ---> and then hit the search button? That's when I have a search bar show up at the top of my screen.
    kct1975 likes this.
  7. aceofspades626

aceofspades626 Well-Known Member

I am rooted. Stock rom. No Gingerbreads.
  8. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member

So it must be with the GB update, because I am rooted but with the stock GB update.
  9. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member

Rooted, Froyo.
  10. Rooted, running Smooth and Sexy rom, doesn't work for me.
  11. smitty543

smitty543 Well-Known Member

I do not have "power saver"
  12. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

Rooted running FreshEvo 4.1.1.0 and there is no "power saver" in the list.

EDIT: It depends on which letter you tap in the search box. I get a different list when I enter "D" than when I enter "P". Entering "P" gives me a list with "power saver", entering "D" gives me a list without "power saver". I'm guessing this is because there is no "d" in "power saver". I'm ashamed of myself that it took me 5 seconds to realize that.. I mean it is a search box :)

For those tempted to go through every letter of the alphabet to see what all is there, save some time and only search the vowels :)
    Evo likes this.
  13. Needforspeed

I'm not rooted and I see it
  14. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member

Found another way to get to it, which is probably using the same search.

First you need to have the Google Search widget available. (long press on a home screen ---> Widget ---> Google Search)

Then you need to make your settings searchable. (Menu ---> Settings ---> Search ---> Searchable Items ---> Make sure "Settings" is selected)

Now go back to the Google Search widget that is on your home screen. On the left of it there is a blue & white globe with an arrow beneath it. Click the globe (or it could be a different icon depending on your searchable items), then select Settings or All, depends on if you want google results and setting results found.

Now in the search box type the letter "P" and that should be enough to bring up Power Saver result.
    ardchoille and tube517 like this.
  15. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

Must be a GB thing because I'm running a 2.2 ROM right now and don't see it. I'll check it when I go back to a GB ROM. Thanks for the tip on the search options. Never knew about any of that.
  16. ardchoille

You don't even need the google search widget, simply hit the search button when viewing the home screen.

You do, however, need to make your settings are searchable: (Menu ---> Settings ---> Search ---> Searchable Items ---> Make sure "Settings" is selected)
    tube517 and Evo like this.
  17. ardchoille

I recently flashed a Gingerbread ROM with Sense 3.0 on my Evo 4G and this power saving menu is in the standard Settings menu, htc must have hidden the power saving menu on Froyo.
  18. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

Yep. Just checked my wife's stock/unrooted EVO w/GB and the Power Saver menu is there
  19. Needforspeed

I have stock gingerbread too
  20. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

to clarify, yes, the power savings menu was added with the gingerbread update. I only used the stock update for a day for testing, but thought I recalled it being located at menu.settings in the list of all settings just as it is on other GB builds.
  21. brsnyder

brsnyder Member

I have GB on a new Evo and it doesn't have Power Saver or Privacy. My husband's Shift with Sense 2.1 has both. His also has more settings in general. In "About" he has "Tell HTC" and "Network," and I have neither. Network shows Network (Sprint), signal strength and other stuff. Weird.

-- Barbara
  22. BamaInArk

BamaInArk Well-Known Member

Just to clarify for everyone. After you select Menu then select the "Search" button at the bottom of the phone rather than the "Search" option from the displayed Menu. You are hitting the Magnifying Glass button on the bottom row of 4 buttons on the phone face.
  23. brsnyder

brsnyder Member

I meant they aren't on the Settings menus on my phone. They are they if I search for them.

--Barbara
  24. randun

randun Member

Does anyone have any idea where this setting might be on a Samsung Captivate, woefully sill running on FROY0 2.2?!
  25. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

For anyone running MikG 2.61, Settings>Power takes you to the same screen. I thought this was something Mik built into his ROM as I've never seen this screen before.