Hidden "Safe Mode" on LG Motion 4GTips

Last Updated:

1. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru

I just figured I'd let everyone know I accidentally found a hidden "safe mode" on the phone. Just boot the phone while holding Vol Down.

It appears to disable widgets. I'm not sure if it does anything else, or if it could be used as an alternate way to gain root. Reboot to exit "safe mode"

Cheers :smokingsomb:

2. Davolt

Davolt Member

Much appreciated.
  3. cjbandroid

cjbandroid Well-Known Member

Doesn't do doodlysquat for mine.... maybe because its already rooted?
  4. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru

The phone I discovered this on is rooted also.
  5. ninjasinabag

ninjasinabag Well-Known Member

Its like safe mode on a computer, it won't save changes that could be crippling to the system.
  6. MotoTriumphant

MotoTriumphant Well-Known Member

While in safe mode it seems everything has been back to stock. What's the point of it?
  7. ninjasinabag

Thanks sep, i flashed the touchwiz launcher from s3 and got caught in a force close siezure. Safe mode set it back to the original launcher so i could avoid the fcs long enough tk disable touchwiz. Mucho, MUCHO gracias.
  8. ninjasinabag

It seems safe mode is exactly that, it disables everything that isn't needed to keep the phone working. 3rd party launchers, handcent/go sms and web browsers all get frozen so the system can work freely enabling you to delete a bad apk that may be causing force close overload.
    Sepero likes this.
  9. twogbsd

twogbsd Well-Known Member

Off topic and kinda random, but how did you come up with the username "ninjasinabag"??
  10. ninjasinabag

^^ Excellent question, horribly short story to go with it. I was playing pokemon red and beat koga. The end, no seriously. It was just one of those things that comes out of a 9 year olds mouth. "That's the first ninja for my collection" That deranged sentence stuck with me and when I started on xbox live, ninjasinabag was the result of that moment of insanity.
    twogbsd likes this.
  11. moralesmaci

moralesmaci New Member

How do you exit safe mode on your phone i want to get if offf.
  12. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Reboot :)

13. alfick3

alfick3 Well-Known Member

I'm going to resurrect this semi-buried thread. My sister-in-law accidentally washed her phone with the laundry the other day. She had it on top of a de-humidifier and in a bowl of rice for the last couple of days. Today, she took it to a phone repair place and it works now, except it's in safe mode. I tried to reboot it, but it comes back up in safe mode. Any thoughts?

14. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru

As far as I'm aware, safe mode only prevents widgets from running. I could see that being a real pain for some people, but is there any other reason she can't use the phone like normal?
    alfick3 likes this.
  15. alfick3

No, it's more of just a thought if she can get out of it, great. If not, so be it.
  16. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Sepero and alfick3 like this.
  17. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Well-Known Member Contributor

root it and flash new firmware to it see what happens, I did that for a wildfire s ans it brought it back to life
  18. alfick3

So here's an update to my sister-in-law's phone: while I was at work last night (work a 2nd job at Starbucks), she did some Googling and came up with a solution. She found someone else that had a similar problem and that person found out there was still some residual moisture under the volume rocker, so the phone thought she was purposely trying to get into safe mode. She took some canned air and sprayed it out, did a reboot and was back up and running again. I had actually seen that on this forum as well, but didn't think anything about it, cause she had, had it covered in rice for over 24 hours.
    Harry2 and Sepero like this.