Hide apps from the drawer?

Last Updated:

1. athflying

athflying Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

With my G1 it was possible to hide apps from the drawer, but I can't remember if that was something somone enable via a ROM or a seperate app. Anyone with a Droid able to leave an app installed and fully functional, but hide it so it doesn't show up in the app drawer??

Advertisement
  2. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

The only way I was able to accomplish hiding an app was with PandaHome (but too many issues with instability). A few developers are giving the option of hiding drawer icons when installing their widgets (Pure Messenger and Pure Music are examples). I wish there were more similar options.

3. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

dxtop allows this

4. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I don't want a whole new "home" type app.. I just want an app, like my Centro had, where I could hide junk I never use that came preinstalled like: Farcebook, Amazon MP3, Email (I use Gmail), Messaging (I use Handcent), Talk, YouTube..

someone PLEASE make such a thing. Don't want to delete, just hide.

5. MYandroidUSERNAME

MYandroidUSERNAME Well-Known Member

you need root to get rid of them...

to do it just download root explorer, go to system/app then at the top click the mount as R/W and long press the app name .apk you want to hide and pick rename. change the apk to bak and press the mount as R/O at the top and hit the home button. if you want the app back just change the .bak back to .apk.

6. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

That is not what he wanted at all, nor what he was talking about doing with his G1.

I know exactly what your talking about, the G1 ROM's (most of them) had the Advanced Launcher, which was the stock launcher modified so that you could hide any app you didn't want to see. I already tried pushing the apk for it but unfortunately it force closes everytime on the Droid. I really miss that from my G1.

7. athflying

Exactly.

8. MYandroidUSERNAME

MYandroidUSERNAME Well-Known Member

ok then go buy another G1 so you can do the most pointless thing in the world...hide an app and still use it.

9. athflying

I just feel dumb now, why didn't I think of that....thanks for the advice...let me guess your android username must be "Captain Douchebag".

It's actually quite useful. Many things reside in my app drawer that shouldn't be there, such as icon packs...settings...etc...that are only useful when accessed from another app or there is already a shortcut built in somewhere else that is much more useful.

Thanks again for the most useless post I have ever read and I will be sure to come to you when I need more of your sage advice.

10. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Exactly, icon packs for Better Cut are the main thing I would use it for.

11. cplucker99

cplucker99 New Member

Is there anyway to organize your apps in folders. Sports, music, travel, etc... With the potential to password protect certain folders. This way my financial apps stay private and reduce clutter.

12. Lock-N-Load

not IN the app drawer

but check out Simi Folders.. no security, but the organization of apps in custom folders (endless customizing as well) on your desktop is awesome

13. Lock-N-Load

FWIW, and for new readers of this thread, Launcher Pro can do this.

14. sslogic

sslogic New Member

and go launcher and miui can hide apps in a folder

15. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but wouldn't freezing the apps with Titanium Backup also work? At least for the apps you don't use...icon packs are another thing all together I suppose...

16. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast Well-Known Member

You don't understand what he/we want to do. I can't speak for them, but I have most of my apps spread out across 5 home screens in a logical manner. (Games, tools, main , phone tools, entertainment). The other 10 or so apps I use infrequently, but often enough to keep them, or they don't fit into one of the categories. When I need to go to my app drawer, I don't want to have to scroll through all 70+ apps to find one of the 10 I need. With launcherpro, I can hide all the apps that are on my homescreens from my drawer, but keep them functional. If you freeze things in TiBU, they don't work anymore.