• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hide Language Bar during Keyboard Input

cuteseal

Lurker
Jul 19, 2010
Hey all,

I just got a X10 mini pro for my wife and I think I'm more excited than her! :D

Does anyone know how to disable the language bar from showing, that occupies the bottom of the screen whenever you type something with the hardware keyboard?

I know you can click the X button in the right corner, but how do you prevent it from appearing in the first place? It pretty much serves no purpose for me and is stealing real estate from an already small screen.

Thanks!

Interesting.. I wonder if swapping the default keyboard to something else would help.

It's a really stupid feature.. I don't understand why it's there. Why would we want to change language? What does changing language do, anyway? It doesn't seem to make any difference to the hardware keyboard. :s

It's not a very good introduction to the phone, as one of the first things we have to do when using it for the first time is enter our gmail account details, but the language bar covers up the button that completes the process. genius!

edit: just remembered that the bar tells us the state of the shift and function buttons, which is quite handy, but do we really need such a huge bar to tell us that?

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I was searching for a solution for me languagebar problem and found out about this site. It allready has been usefull but the languagebar is killing me! I use facebook-chat on my mini-pro but i can only read one line!

The closing option(cross on the right side) doesnt work for me ass well. It closes one out of the 10 times i touch it and reappears when i use the qwerty again!

No solution yet to this problem?

Upvote 0
Yes it still happens on 2.1

I downloaded an alternative keyboard called ThickButtons, set that as the default input and the language bar no longer appears.

I've just installed this and it seems to be doing the job except that the symbol key no longer works properly which means no euro signs and whatnot. It also means that T9 is disabled so you can't compose SMS's while standing on the bus.

I've just disabled it. I need euros.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones