hide photos from appearring in gallery?Support

1. chattygirl

chattygirl Active Member

private photos I have always placed in a seperate file preceded with a "." And these have never shown in my gallery.....perfect. however I recently added a new photo to the same folder and this photo DOES appear in the gallery. Only this new photo....not the others that were already in the folder?
    Any ideas to resolve this please.....soooo frustrated

Advertisement
    DrShaho likes this.
  2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

You need to create a file named ".nomedia" and place it IN that folder. Then anything you put in that folder will not appear in the gallery
    bengadget, DrShaho, 9to5cynic and 2 others like this.
  3. brotherswing

brotherswing Well-Known Member

Very useful, thank you.
  4. chrlswltrs

No problem. I have actually answered that same question a few times this week in different sections on here. Seems like everyone has the same question on different phones right now.

Glad I could help
    takomi likes this.
  5. chattygirl

chattygirl Active Member

Thankyou ill try this now. Where shall I place the folder named .nomedia..........on my sdcard?
  6. chrlswltrs

Put it inside whatever folder you are putting the pictures in that you don't want in your gallery
  7. chattygirl

chattygirl Active Member

I'm really sorry.....I can not get this to work....pics still showing in gallery?
    I can't be setting it up correctly?
    Step by step appreaciated ty
  8. chrlswltrs

Use a file explorer (I use root explorer personally)

Navigate to the folder that has the pictures you want hidden

Open that folder

Create a new file. In root explorer you push menu, then select new file

Name the file ".nomedia"

You may need to reboot after that. If that still doesn't work, make a new folder named whatever you want, create the .nomedia file in it, move your pictures to the new folder, then delete the old one
    chattygirl likes this.
  9. chattygirl

chattygirl Active Member

I can not get this to work.....its prob me being stoopid......but all my pics are still being displayed :eek:

I'm sorry, to clarify.....I'm using astro.....so, if all my pics are in folder named "pictures" and there are 5 of them I want hidden.......I create a subfolder within "pictures"...... name it ".nomedia.......put the 5 pics inside ".nomedia".......and then when I look in gallery......I still see my "pictures" but not the hidden 5?

Is this right or am I being really dim?.....you can be honest lol
    Many thanks
  10. chrlswltrs

Make a new folder, doesn't have to be inside pictures, but it can be. It doesn't matter what the folder is named.

Then open that folder and create a file inside that folder. The FILE needs to be named ".nomedia" not the folder. Any folder that you put a FILE in named .nomedia nothing will show up in your gallery
    chattygirl likes this.
  11. chattygirl

chattygirl Active Member

Thankyou sooooo......much.....that's much clearer.....I was creating a folder called
    .media
    Now I just need to work out how to create a file........can't see an option in astro. Could I just rename an existing picture maybe?

Sorry to be a pain.....not normally this blonde honest!
  12. chrlswltrs

I'm not sure on other file explorers, and but I recommend you use this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.explorer

It is the same as the one I use, but for non rooted phones. With this explorer just open the folder you want hidden then push the menu button. One of the options is create file
    chattygirl likes this.
  13. chattygirl

chattygirl Active Member

Many thanks for all your help. I have followed all steps above but to no avail! The pics I want hidden STILL show with gallery???

Stumped.......

Have really appreciated your time & patience though, many thanks again :)
  14. chrlswltrs

So you have a folder with the pictures you want hidden. Open that folder. INSIDE that folder there should be:
    1. A file named ".nomedia"
    2. Pictures you want hidden

If that is correct try:
    From you home screen -> menu -> settings -> apps -> gallery -> clear data

Then reboot, and see if the pictures are still there
    fgol and chattygirl like this.
  15. chattygirl

chattygirl Active Member

I have it set up exactly as you have described above but...........pics still there! It's doing my head in!
    However I have found a workaround. I have downloaded an app called "quickpic" and the "hidden photos" don't appear in there!

It's sooooo strange. So your set-up above definately works if I use quickpic but not whilst using the stock gallery app??

Thanks again for your time x
  16. chrlswltrs

Glad you found a way to get it working. I haven't ever seen a phone before where it didn't work
    chattygirl likes this.
  17. brotherswing

brotherswing Well-Known Member

Great tip, it worked on my Optimus V.
  18. chattygirl

chattygirl Active Member

Just out of interest.....does this .nomedia fix work for everyone else?

I even tried it again today (time on my hands) but all pics still displayed via stock gallery.
    Grrrrr......

:mad:
  19. mcowher

mcowher New Member

I'm having the same problem. Gallery is showing "new" pics added to folders that contain a ".nomedia" file and also pics added to a folder off my SD Card root folder called ".hidden".

Pre-existing files remain hidden from Gallery, but new files are being added to the Gallery, for both folder that begin with a "." and folders that contain a ".nomedia" file.
    newtothisstuff and chattygirl like this.
  20. chattygirl

chattygirl Active Member

My exact problem....was beginning to think it was just me lol!
  21. newtothisstuff

newtothisstuff New Member

I researched how to hide photos a few months ago and learned of the (.) trick using Astro file manager. It worked perfectly, I created a very generic named folder inside an admin folder and added several photos I didn't want appearing in my gallery. Then I unselected "show hidden files" in the Astro "Look" options to further prevent a nosy individual from stumbling across the pictures. Everything worked fine and I could access the pictures whenever I wanted.

Now, any pictures I add to the same "hidden" file appear in my gallery as an all new group (I don't know what to call it) titled .*filename containing only the new pictures.
    I have tried every suggestion on here as far as creating a .Nomedia main directory and moving the pictures under multiple layers of hidden folders but the pictures always appear in the gallery with the new file name!?

All the older pictures previously saved in the SAME folder do not appear and if I delete the new pictures the "group" disappears from the gallery!?
    I won't download a specific picture hiding app because that in itself will raise hell if it's discovered!
    Has anybody figured out the solution to this?
  22. chattygirl

chattygirl Active Member

My exact same prob.....I too used to use the. Method

Quickpic app works brilliantly for me. Then just hide gallery app from app drawer so quickpic is the only app available to view photos
    newtothisstuff likes this.
  23. zanders

zanders Member

Can you not go into Gallery - select settings Show/hide albums and take the tick out of the ones you dont want to see?
  24. chrlswltrs

That isn't an option in the stock Android gallery
  25. newtothisstuff

newtothisstuff New Member

So there's no option other than downloading a picture managing app :confused: I'll give this "quickpic" a try I guess.
    So if I transfer all my pictures from my gallery into quickpic, plus my non-PG pics, can I then hide specific pics? and how easy would they be to access?