• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help hide photos from appearring in gallery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there's no option other than downloading a picture managing app :thinking: I'll give this "quickpic" a try I guess.
So if I transfer all my pictures from my gallery into quickpic, plus my non-PG pics, can I then hide specific pics? and how easy would they be to access?

Read the above posts.

Make a folder and add a file called ".nomedia" to that folder. Then transfer the pics you want hidden to that folder. Then you would be able to access those via any file explorer you want to use, but they would not appear in the gallery.

Upvote 0
doesn't work. I've tried it several times several different ways and even tried several layers of ".nomedia" folders inside ".nomedia" folders inside ".hidden" folders inside ."nomedia" folders lol. No matter what a new category (ie: camera, download, sdcard) of pictures will appear inside my gallery labeled whatever the end destination folder is named. However all the pictures previously saved (a couple months ago) in a folder I named ".sysadmin" do not appear in the gallery and are only view-able when I open Astro, select "show hidden files", open the "droidhen" folder and then open the .sysadmin folder.

I know we seem to be talking in a loop with this but I am baffled as to why a simple trick no longer works and the most confusing part is that if I add a picture to the .sysadmin folder a new gallery category is created containing only the new pictures and not the dozen or so older pictures saved in the SAME folder!? :hmmmm:

Btw my device is a Casio Commando running android version 2.3.3

Upvote 0
It has been my experience that when you move your pics to a folder with the .nomedia file, the gallery still shows the pictures. If you try to view any of the pictures that you moved, the gallery will not display them individually. Those pictures are not being rendered from the folder with the .nomedia file, but rather from the cache of the gallery. I call them "ghosts". These ghosts can be deleted from the gallery without losing them from the folder they have been moved to. Try it with a test picture. Download a pic, move it to your preferred "hidden" destination, go back to the gallery and delete the pic. Explore your hidden folder and select your picture. Done.

Reactions: chrlswltrs
Upvote 0
It has been my experience that when you move your pics to a folder with the .nomedia file, the gallery still shows the pictures. If you try to view any of the pictures that you moved, the gallery will not display them individually. Those pictures are not being rendered from the folder with the .nomedia file, but rather from the cache of the gallery. I call them "ghosts". These ghosts can be deleted from the gallery without losing them from the folder they have been moved to. Try it with a test picture. Download a pic, move it to your preferred "hidden" destination, go back to the gallery and delete the pic. Explore your hidden folder and select your picture. Done.

Thanks for that. I had some of these ghost pictures for the first time a couple weeks ago. I ended up changing ROMs anyways, so they went away, but I'll give your method a shot if it happens again.

Upvote 0
My Droid Razr M just updated a few days ago to Android 4.1.1 and now I am having the same problem with a twist. The images that were in that folder before the update are still hidden from the gallery... any new images that have b een placed in that folder since the update show up in the gallery. You can still click on the album and the picture, so they aren't "ghosts" as described above.

I'm not sure what the deal was with the update that caused this. The only other thing I can think to try is to recreate the .nomedia file so that it has a file creation date after the date of the upgrade... may be something funky with file dates. Other than that I'm at a loss.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone...

to make the ".nomedia" file work you need to open it as a text file in a plain text editor and add a few characters in it and save. This way the system will recognise it as a txt file and it should work.

I used ES File Explorer and ES Editor (comes with file explorer)

It did not work for me either until I discovered the above.

Edit: In a Linux environment any file that starts with a "." is a hidden file so you have to enable "show hidden files" in ES File Explorer or your chosen file browser to have it visible to open it.

Upvote 0
So you have a folder with the pictures you want hidden. Open that folder. INSIDE that folder there should be:
1. A file named ".nomedia"
2. Pictures you want hidden

If that is correct try:
From you home screen -> menu -> settings -> apps -> gallery -> clear data

Then reboot, and see if the pictures are still there

Excellent! Thank you for that tip. Just to expand on the hint: I added .nomedia to ..../Music and it eliminated from Gallery all of the album art scattered through all of the Artist / Album subfolders. I was hoping I didn't need to add it to every single subfolder. :eek:

Update (And NightAngel79 might UNthank me :( ): My media player came up with no songs, no albums, and no artists. I guess the nomedia in Music blocked it from searching too. I guess I'm off to download QuickPic.:rolleyes:

Update to the update: As I noted here, RocketPlayer has a setting to ignore .nomedia. Cool. :)

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
i was reading this thread earlier. i tried all the things in here and none of it worked. after a while i took another crack at it with my own idea and i think i found the problem
the problem happens because the phone (evo 4g in my case) is not being "remounted" at the correct time after moving files (i used astro)

here's how i solved it

1. connect your phone to a pc or lap top via usb
2. when the "connect to pc" dialouge pops up, select disk drive/mount as disk drive
3. now on your pc or lap top, navigate to computer or my computer and find your device. (mine was drive M. your internal harddrive on your pc/laptop is usually drive C. so when you connect your phone to the pc via usb, the phone will be a letter further down in the alphabet depending on your machine)
4. when you find your phone on your pc/laptop navigate thru to find the folder where your hidden pics and vids are stored.
5. once you find it, rename the folder without the . in front of it. for example, my secret folder was .shoebox so i renamed the folder shoebox with out the . in front of it.
6. now swipe down on the info bar at the top of your screen on your phone. tap the screen where it says "select to change USB connection type". this will take you back to the "connect to pc" screen. this time, select "charge only" ....... now your sd card will "remount" back to your device. all your secrect pics will display in your gallery. but this is ok because we need all the files on the card to be mounted into the same place all at once.
7. now go back to the "connect to pc" screen. (i explained how to do this at the beginning of number 6. this time select "disk drive mount as disk drive" again. this is because we must access the sd card one more time for the final stage.
8. go back my computer or my computer to find your phone again. navigate back to your folder with your secret pics in it. THIS TIME YOU WILL HAVE TO RENAME THE FOLDER SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. BUT THERE IS A TWIST TO IT. WINDOWS WONT LET YOU CREATE A FOLDER WITH A . IN FRONT OF THE FILE NAME BECAUSE WINDOWS WILL SEE IT AS A FILE EXTENSION. in my case i renamed my folder from the name shoebox to h.safebox. the h is in front so windows will leave you alone. once you rename it, go back to the "connect to pc" screen, select charge only.
9. now go back to whatever file manager you have on your phone (i use astro) and rename the folder, only to take the h off of the front of the file name (mine was h.safebox)

this will leave you with just the . in front of your folder (.safebox in my case)

now that youre done renaming the folder,when you head back to your gallery, the first thing it will do is say "preparing sd card". then it will remove the selection of your secret folders old name (my folders old name was shoebox). the new name (which is .safebox in my case) wont show because you have the . in front of it and none of the pics from the renamed folder will show either.

you'll probably notice that there is a shorter way to do this once you know what your doing.thats because hind sight is 20/20 LOL. but i figured id post the long "simple" way because its easier to understand than posting some short advanced explaination which assumes you already know what youre doing.

once you learn this technique, you'll see that all you need is two names to switch back and forth with every now and again to hide your goodies. and by now you should see that these phones arent all theyre cracked up to be smh

Upvote 0
Its working for me. But I got another problem. I misplaced it into home folder and so my gallery or any music player won't shows any media file or picture. I deleted the .nomedia from home folder but its not showing up anything. What to do??

Did you reboot the phone after you deleted the nomedia? Try a SDcard rescan app perhaps?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones