Hide the status bar?

Last Updated:

1. woodstock1029

woodstock1029 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This may have been covered before, if so I'm sorry in advance.

I finally uninstalled Home ++, as bad as it killed me to do it, I couldn't tolerate the force closes and bog down any longer. My Droid is screaming fast now, but I plan on reinstalling Home++ when the issues get worked out.

One of the things I liked was the way it hid the status bar. Is there any other app or option out there to hide the status on the stock home?

Will 2.1 have this option?

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

No other app that I have used. I think one of the other home-replacement apps have that feature ... GDE maybe? Other than that, I don't think you have any other options. Except to make the status bar transparant and mess with the icon PNG files.

3. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

I'm using Home++ and showed the status bar again because using GenieWidget, it wouldn't format correctly to the top of the screen. I'd rather not have the gap at the top of the screen. But since GenieWidget was almost a direct port from 2.1, I doubt that 2.1 has a hide status bar function.

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I know it doesn't ... that's what I'm running. Then again, the "official" release may have some goodies that we're not expecting. I doubt it, but ya never know.

5. woodstock1029

woodstock1029 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I was afraid of that. Maybe I'll have to root after all.

6. VeryApe

VeryApe Well-Known Member

I've been looking for a way to hide the status bar without using home++ or rooting but haven't found one yet. I've emailed the home++ dev asking him to make an application just for that, but have yet to see anything. Apparently he is the only one that knows how to do it...

7. jonezy8873

jonezy8873 New Member

Grrrrr I want to hide mine too

8. riggsmagic

riggsmagic New Member

Use LauncherPro Beta...hit menu > pref.> and it will give you the option to hide the " status bar" aka notification tray. No root needed.

9. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, unlike Home++, there is no way to recover the status bar unless you go back into the menus. I asked the developer to add a quick way to view the status bar by using the BACK button on the homescreen.

10. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

I'm pretty sure in ADW.Launcher, you can map the home button to lower the notification shade (and hide the status bar, of course).

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. stewart1champ

stewart1champ Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct. I was actually playing around with that feature this morning. Couldn't get used to the status bar being hidden though. Hah.

12. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

Just press menu key when you want to see it.

13. pinesal

pinesal Well-Known Member

You press menu in LauncherPro and Notifications to see it when it's hidden.

olliedroid likes this.
  14. nerys

nerys Well-Known Member

I really wish someone would make an app to do this. Launcher Pro EX does it (as noted already) but I can't run launcher pro. I am running froyo 2.2 on a touch pro 2 overclocked to 710mhz but its just not enough horsepower the system is unusably slow with launcher pro ex running

but the way it did it was perfect. swipe up hides it swipe up again displays it and swipe down brings down the notifications (for some reason its really HARD for me to "get" it swiping down but when I can swipe down anywhere on the screen its nice)

or a way to make it transparent (not the icons just the white bar)

OR a way to SKIN the bar. since I think you need ginger to use transparency in the status bar.