High Battery Temperature questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. Red Leader

Red Leader Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My Incredible's battery was at 35 degrees Fahrenheit at idle. After playing some music via wifi using Radio Time for an hour, the temperature was 109 degrees Fahrenheit and the phone was warm. Now I know the temp would go up, but is is this abnormally high? Is this normal? Do I have anything to be worried about cause I love this app and don't want to stop using it.

Advertisement
  2. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

109*F isn't terribly hot. If you were doing all this and had it plugged in, I wouldn't be too alarmed..

3. waynester

waynester Well-Known Member

err.. 35

4. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

yea 35F is extremely low unless you live in Alaska or something.

5. Red Leader

6. Colchicine

Colchicine Well-Known Member

I'd like to point out this is why you don't see actual numbers on your engine temp gauge anymore. Too many people agonize over the temperature and whether or not something is wrong. People take the vehicle in to the shop and get it looked at while it's under warranty only to find that everything is within spec. This costs everyone $.

Stop worrying about your battery temp. Use the knowledge to figure out ways to keep it cooler, since this will extend overall battery life. The reason HTC doesn't provide this app and give you the acceptable range of heat is because it doesn't matter!

7. ctc

ctc Well-Known Member

Even if you had the phone sitting on the AC vent it wouldn't be at 35 degrees F.

8. Red Leader

Interesting. I know what I saw but I'll do another check later and report back. The app may be misreading.

9. jdmba

jdmba Well-Known Member

I have been worried about my battery temp for a while, but have a different thought.

I suspect that my random reboots are NOT keyed to signal strength (as some say) but high temperature. My first was at 109, and usually the reboots occur when the phone is in its holder in my pocket. Just a thought.

10. mrempp

mrempp Active Member

i think the reboots are definitely from over heating. My phone was rebooting a lot, after i took the silicone case off the reboots were much less frequent.

11. mahsan88

mahsan88 Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem. Called Verizon, they said they and htc were aware of this, this is due to some faulty 3G radios. They switched my phone with no problem. I suggest you call them and let them know. they will overnight you a replacement.

12. billybob275

billybob275 Well-Known Member

Mine hit 120*F when using GPS and a windshield mount when driving through South Carolina a few weeks ago. It was in the mid 90s which is unseasonably warm. Only reason I noticed it was b/c I had it plugged in and noticed the light was blinking like it wasn't charging. When I check the status, it read 120 degrees and said "Overheat", so it stopped charging (it was about 68% when I thought it should've been fully charged). I had to take it off about once an hour to cool down in front of the AC before I could use the GPS again.

I haven't had any issues with it since then, so it doesn't appear to have any permanent damage because of it. But still, I think heat may be a minor concern with these.

13. waynester

waynester Well-Known Member

Yeah I have one app that always says 32

14. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Yeah the app is misreading it because at 35F you are almost near freezing, so the only way that can happen is if you tossed your phone into the freezer. (Off the top of my head, I think 0C is 32F)

My temps range from 85F to 120F (was using the GPS for an extended period)

15. REYES

REYES Well-Known Member

So what does HTC say the max temp is before the phone shuts down?

16. REYES

REYES Well-Known Member

So what does HTC say the max temp is before the phone shuts down?

17. smile44

smile44 Well-Known Member

I believe it's around 130 F. Mine ranges from 90-110 typically.