• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

High frequency noise?

My computer has started making a high pitech sound... not sure where its coming from...

I tried the mini speaker that beeps when I've POST'd... not that

The noise started when I started folding , and ended when I quit?
GPU related?

I bet something was getting hot, probably the GPU and CPU. Noise could be coming from fan bearings, could also be the power supply. Hard drives can also emit abnormal high-pitched noises as well, when they're about to fail.

Upvote 0
There are very few programs (only some stress-testers) that will beat the tar out of your hardware like FAH does. (I've added it to my test/burn-in repertoire.)

FAH will keep your CPU at 100% and your GPU 96-99% (but only 10% mem. controller util.). Your hardware will get hot--how hot depends on your cooling solutions. Honestly, my equipment keeps the floor warm enough that I haven't had to run central heating yet (even have to open windows despite it's being 30F outside).

Assuming all is working perfectly, you are probably just hearing fan motors and air pressure/movement. If you are hearing a tapping or scraping sound, check your fans. My 2-year-old 580 fans make a scraping noise at certain RPMs AND when my case exhaust fan is at low (5v vs. 12v)--contact cleaner inbound as I don't want to RMA it just for that. Point is, fiddle with turbulence.

If you hear a high-pitched whine, check your PSU for coil whine. If you are having that, you'll likely want to return it and buy a different brand.

Upvote 0
I have a Corsair 750W V2.

Noise is definitely coming from the 670, and setting the fans to manual makes no difference.
It doesn't really make a difference in day to day use or in gaming so far, but I'd like to fold , and that prevents me from doing it. ( I have good hearing and to me its like one of those ultrasonic pest removers)

I don't know how to check for coil whine , but on the EVGA forums, they said to just RMA it.

I don't think it's too much to do with heat as to do with the clock speed. Only when folding does it go over the base AND boost clock to around 1100Mhz.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones